Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-09-2003, 02:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Acclamating snails

I bought 2 turbo snails this weekend. They were very active at the LFS (moving along the glass, etc). I acclamated them to my tank just as I have done to all my fish. I floated the bag on top of the tank for about 30 minutes and then began adding small amounts of my tank water to the bag. I did this until the bag was full. Then I dumped out 50% of the water in the bag and added water again until it was full. After that I added the snails to the tank. The whole process took about 3 hours. Unfortunately I dont' have the room for a quarantine tank, so I have no other choice. The snails were active in their plastic LFS baggie as well. But when I added them to the tank they never came out of their shells. they stayed in the shells for about 2 days and I'm fairly certain that they're dead. I have 2 tomato clowns, a scooter blenny and 2 damsels - all are doing great and the only thing I did differently with the fish that I did not do with the snails was give them a fresh water dip. I assume that if the snails were still alive they would be out and about by now???

I would like to keep several snails, crabs, stars in my tank if possible but I don't want something like this to happen again. Should I have done something differently? Is there some kind of trick to acclamating these guys?

And, not that I plan on adding a bunch of them at one time due to last weekend's experience....but is there a rule of thumb for how many snails, crabs can be added to a tank at one time? I would never add more than 1 or 2 fish at a time - but I'm not sure if that same rule applies to inverts.

Mutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 02:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to nugrad2005 Send a message via Yahoo to nugrad2005
I was wondering the same thing as well, we have a shipment of snails coming in tomorrow. Also should we just release them or actually stick them to the rock/glass?

"Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" -Powdered Toast Man

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
nugrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 02:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
i have heard that when you are done acclimating them you should put them on the glass at the water line and they will finish the process themselves have never done it myself just letting you know what i have heard.
like pictures? visit
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 03:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
This site might help you http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/a...wb/default.asp
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 08:57 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
That's the way I do it. Stick them to the glass at the waterline and let them acclimate themselves. I always float the bag long enough for the temp to equalize first. I have never lost one yet that I know of. The ones that refuse to come out at all, I usually put them on the rock or lay them on the substrate facing the glass.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 09:16 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I float for a period of time then I drip acclomate them so as the SG can slowly equilize in the bag to a level close to the tank. Then I try to get them to attach above the water level and move down on their own. If they dont then I put them someplace and I watch for them to move over the course of a few hours/day.

If they are in the same place after 1 day I would take them out and check to make sure they are still living. A large snail dieoff can really foul your water quick.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 09:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
When I get them there all stuck to each other. I just set the whole group on a rock and they go there seperate ways.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 09:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
I also use the drip method and place them on either glass or rock. Haven't lost one yet and usually only drip for an hour...
125 gal mixed REEF
PrettyFishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:34 PM   #9
I am going to say I have never acclimated them. I take them straight out of the bag and stick them on the water line and they have all lived. I know, spank the hand....But it works...I don't treat my fish and corals that way though...

clam, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com