Acclamating snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mutz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought 2 turbo snails this weekend. They were very active at the LFS (moving along the glass, etc). I acclamated them to my tank just as I have done to all my fish. I floated the bag on top of the tank for about 30 minutes and then began adding small amounts of my tank water to the bag. I did this until the bag was full. Then I dumped out 50% of the water in the bag and added water again until it was full. After that I added the snails to the tank. The whole process took about 3 hours. Unfortunately I dont' have the room for a quarantine tank, so I have no other choice. The snails were active in their plastic LFS baggie as well. But when I added them to the tank they never came out of their shells. they stayed in the shells for about 2 days and I'm fairly certain that they're dead. I have 2 tomato clowns, a scooter blenny and 2 damsels - all are doing great and the only thing I did differently with the fish that I did not do with the snails was give them a fresh water dip. I assume that if the snails were still alive they would be out and about by now???

I would like to keep several snails, crabs, stars in my tank if possible but I don't want something like this to happen again. Should I have done something differently? Is there some kind of trick to acclamating these guys?

And, not that I plan on adding a bunch of them at one time due to last weekend's experience....but is there a rule of thumb for how many snails, crabs can be added to a tank at one time? I would never add more than 1 or 2 fish at a time - but I'm not sure if that same rule applies to inverts.

Thanks.
/Brian

I was wondering the same thing as well, we have a shipment of snails coming in tomorrow. Also should we just release them or actually stick them to the rock/glass?

-Dan

i have heard that when you are done acclimating them you should put them on the glass at the water line and they will finish the process themselves have never done it myself just letting you know what i have heard.

That's the way I do it. Stick them to the glass at the waterline and let them acclimate themselves. I always float the bag long enough for the temp to equalize first. I have never lost one yet that I know of. The ones that refuse to come out at all, I usually put them on the rock or lay them on the substrate facing the glass.

I float for a period of time then I drip acclomate them so as the SG can slowly equilize in the bag to a level close to the tank. Then I try to get them to attach above the water level and move down on their own. If they dont then I put them someplace and I watch for them to move over the course of a few hours/day.

If they are in the same place after 1 day I would take them out and check to make sure they are still living. A large snail dieoff can really foul your water quick.

I also use the drip method and place them on either glass or rock. Haven't lost one yet and usually only drip for an hour...

I am going to say I have never acclimated them. I take them straight out of the bag and stick them on the water line and they have all lived. I know, spank the hand....But it works...I don't treat my fish and corals that way though... :)

Back
Top Bottom