Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

+1... I wouldn't wish those little demons on anybody's tank after trying to catch mine for a month lol
Neither would i. But hey, theyr cheap as dirt lol
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
BallinCrew10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Auburn MA
Posts: 944
They're cheap for a reason lol. You can get nice sw fish for cheap. 6 line wrasse for like $20 in my area. Same for firefish. It can be done without putting hundreds into just the fish.
__________________

__________________
BallinCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Travis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10
They're cheap for a reason lol. You can get nice sw fish for cheap. 6 line wrasse for like $20 in my area. Same for firefish. It can be done without putting hundreds into just the fish.
In iowa fish arent really that cheap... i can go to petco but they look terrible, my buddy has a lfs but his prices are a little high. The really nice places have nice fish but at a much much higher prices.
__________________
Travis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:39 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 1,348
Well, unfortunately, if you want to stock your saltwater tank, it comes down to this. You can either put money into fish that are supposed to live in saltwater, or you can slowly torture and kill freshwater fish.
I get not wanting to drop $50 on a fish. But if the compromise is buying one healthy SW fish now, and then having to wait a couple months to get another, it will be much more rewarding than buying one $2 fish after another because they keep dying.
__________________
Someone stop me! Please! But... not just yet...
55 Gal Tropical FW
55 Gal Mixed Reef
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Travis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor
Well, unfortunately, if you want to stock your saltwater tank, it comes down to this. You can either put money into fish that are supposed to live in saltwater, or you can slowly torture and kill freshwater fish.
I get not wanting to drop $50 on a fish. But if the compromise is buying one healthy SW fish now, and then having to wait a couple months to get another, it will be much more rewarding than buying one $2 fish after another because they keep dying.
Well i guess the fan club for acclimation is low. I didnt think it was so bad. Brackish fish are close to marine but i guess ill deal with a big tank and only a pair of clowns be the main reason i wanted a cheap fish is because im afraid my fish have taken the whole tank for themselves...
__________________
Travis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 3,287
You might try craigslist or a local forum for fish, is there a local club? Two clowns isn't that bad of an idea in a 55 gallon tank. You might not be able to put any really peaceful fish in it now. BTW clowns are a damsel.
__________________
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 1,156
Clown fish are a damsel? Mayb that's why the two clowns I have are best friends with my chroomie and blue damsel. There's manyyy cheap saltwater fish in the hobby. I go to my reef store and there's at least 10 tanks with fish in there for under $20.
__________________
EriksFish315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Travis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksFish315
Clown fish are a damsel? Mayb that's why the two clowns I have are best friends with my chroomie and blue damsel. There's manyyy cheap saltwater fish in the hobby. I go to my reef store and there's at least 10 tanks with fish in there for under $20.
U live in a good area. Iowa isnt the best place to have sw tanks.
__________________
Travis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 1,156
Why how much are fish in your area? It shouldn't be that much of a price difference and if it is the business is price gauging.
__________________
EriksFish315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Travis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksFish315
Why how much are fish in your area? It shouldn't be that much of a price difference and if it is the business is price gauging.
Yellow tang $50, dwarf angels $30+, lionfish $40+, damsels and chromies $5.99+, not super high but i see people that can get these for half that. The high end stores in my area are double that but they are really really nice.
__________________

__________________
Travis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
freshwater, freshwater fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article: What You Should Know About Fish Nutrition Fishguy2727 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 02-01-2012 09:41 AM
Would love advice! Bumblebee Goby & freshwater pea puffer fish! T-Rexx Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 12-21-2011 02:48 PM
Freshwater fish for my 20 Gallon Tank? Sarah E Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 10-21-2011 05:24 AM
freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution. coffeetwitch Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1835 10-15-2011 05:31 PM
PWC and Prime Mumma.of.two Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 75 08-12-2011 01:50 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.