Acclimated freshwater fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Travis55 said:
So theres no aggression to other fish.

You really need to look at ordering online if you have friend with tanks or a local fourm you can get shipping I do club orders alot I paid 20$ for a porcupine puffer and 5$ for a sand sifter goby and 5$ shipping with a club order I thought it was good for 30$ total

+1^ ordering online is almost always gonna be the best deal if your willing to wait for it..well unless you live in Florida and can get good deals everywhere :p

Mrc8858 said:
+1^ ordering online is almost always gonna be the best deal if your willing to wait for it..well unless you live in Florida and can get good deals everywhere :p

Living in iowa in February is kinda difficult for ordering livestock. Some places wont order cause its too cold...

Travis55 said:
Living in iowa in February is kinda difficult for ordering livestock. Some places wont order cause its too cold...

Lol I live in nova scotia Canada its colder and you can get orders with livestock it always same day or next day delivery in a heated truck or via air in an insulted box

Anyways if you don't want to that's fine I was just giving an option cause they will deliver in the cold

ryan-peddle said:
Lol I live in nova scotia Canada its colder and you can get orders with livestock it always same day or next day delivery in a heated truck or via air in an insulted box

Anyways if you don't want to that's fine I was just giving an option cause they will deliver in the cold

Thanks for the tip. If i could get the local club to go in on an order id do it. I just dont wanna order $30 in fish for $50 delivery. Lol

That's why you wait til you need enough stuff to get the free shipping :)

I personally would spend a little more for the proper fish. If you want a healthy and happy tank then it's best to stock it properly, freshwater fish converted to salt is not really proper. Look at it this way, spending 5.00 on a freshwater fish and acclimating it for a long period of time to have it die and need to replace it equals spending 10.00 on a saltwater fish. I'm a firm believer in quality and I would rather save my money for a while and buy what I want than spending what I have right now for something that's ok. This usually leads to wasted money cause you still want that fish and will buy it sooner or later so don't waste your money. Plus if you set aside 10-20 bucks a paycheque it's not really hard to come up with the cash, a fifty dollar fish is covered in 1.5 months.

Travis55 said:
Yea but i cant spend 200 to get free shippjng. Lol

Like puffer was saying you'll end up buying what you want eventually so just make a wish list of things that add up to $200 and start setting aside $40 a week and in 5 weeks you'll have what you want...patience is important in this hobby :)

Mrc8858 said:
Like puffer was saying you'll end up buying what you want eventually so just make a wish list of things that add up to $200 and start setting aside $40 a week and in 5 weeks you'll have what you want...patience is important in this hobby :)

Then you will get the tank you want instead of a hodge podge tank

Ya like puffer said lol, another thing is if you do a wish list and put some money away every payday work it out so you have all the cash once spring hits so that's not issue aswell. There are plenty of awesome places to get fish online and they will be top quality fish also so it's worth it, I personally don't order fish online cause I live in rural Canada and its a hastle to find someone to ship to Canada plus having to take time off work to go to the airport in the city, it's more effective to pay a little more and get it brought in to my LFS.

kdpuffer said:
Ya like puffer said lol, another thing is if you do a wish list and put some money away every payday work it out so you have all the cash once spring hits so that's not issue aswell. There are plenty of awesome places to get fish online and they will be top quality fish also so it's worth it, I personally don't order fish online cause I live in rural Canada and its a hastle to find someone to ship to Canada plus having to take time off work to go to the airport in the city, it's more effective to pay a little more and get it brought in to my LFS.

I Am also in rural canada I have 4-5 sites I order from right here in Canada the airport drive is a hassle but it's about 1.5hrs so not horrible but worth it for a big group order and we take turns picking up the order

I agree with everything people have been saying about not being worth acclimating freshwater fish to saltwater. Saltwater fish are definitely prettier in general.

That being said I did manage to acclimate 2 green spotted puffers from brackish water to saltwater. These fish actually do live in saltwater as adults though, so it's not as uncommon as it would be with most other fish. They seemed very happy in saltwater. But I only had them a few months because I decided to restock my tank with reef safe saltwater fish so I could keep all the fish I really wanted.

ryan-peddle said:
I Am also in rural canada I have 4-5 sites I order from right here in Canada the airport drive is a hassle but it's about 1.5hrs so not horrible but worth it for a big group order and we take turns picking up the order

We're in Canada? I'm in Alberta and would love to know the sites send me a pm.

MBliss81 said:
I agree with everything people have been saying about not being worth acclimating freshwater fish to saltwater. Saltwater fish are definitely prettier in general.

That being said I did manage to acclimate 2 green spotted puffers from brackish water to saltwater. These fish actually do live in saltwater as adults though, so it's not as uncommon as it would be with most other fish. They seemed very happy in saltwater. But I only had them a few months because I decided to restock my tank with reef safe saltwater fish so I could keep all the fish I really wanted.

Gsp are my most favorite puffer. Can u do it with juvies? Or do u need yo wait?

I'm not sure about trying it with juveniles. There are lots of people who really love the little guys though, and I know I'm not the only one who has ever acclimated them to salt. I'd Google it and see if anyone has tried it with young GSP's before.

They really are a fun fish to have. They're almost like little puppy dogs, the way they seem to beg for food and attention. I had them eating shrimp out of my hands, even jumping to get shrimp above the water. They were just too messy and too aggressive for the tank I had in mind.

MBliss81 said:
I'm not sure about trying it with juveniles. There are lots of people who really love the little guys though, and I know I'm not the only one who has ever acclimated them to salt. I'd Google it and see if anyone has tried it with young GSP's before.

They really are a fun fish to have. They're almost like little puppy dogs, the way they seem to beg for food and attention. I had them eating shrimp out of my hands, even jumping to get shrimp above the water. They were just too messy and too aggressive for the tank I had in mind.

If i do acclimate them to my tank do i need to worry about them hurting my other fish? I went to my lfs today. Id like to get a pair if them and they had a BEAUTIFUL coral beauty angel.

MacDracor said:
I know... and it totally violates my no people food rule. I justify that one because it is not processed in any way, just selectively propagated to produce more crop over the centuries.
Still, for *most* fish, I'd hazard a bet that there are better foods than lettuce, celery, etc. I feel like I'm being preachy now... I don't mean to.

I don't subscribe to your no people food rule. I feed nori all the time from my Chinese food store, I feed diced raw shrimp and clams every now and then. There are several varieties of lettuce that they love. Just wash it well and do your research...food is food.

I don't subscribe to your no people food rule. I feed nori all the time from my Chinese food store, I feed diced raw shrimp and clams every now and then. There are several varieties of lettuce that they love. Just wash it well and do your research...food is food.

Perhaps I should clarify for the few people who didn't understand what I was talking about.
If an animal naturally eats shrimp, seaweed, or clams, then feeding shrimp, seaweed, or clams to that animal isn't feeding it people food. It's just "feeding it."
Feeding bread to ducks, hamburger to dogs, tuna salad to cats, etc are feeding people food. And are generally very bad for the animal.
Every food you mentioned is animal food people happen to eat. But a hamburger is not acceptable for a dog. Ever. "food is food" is a dangerous statement to make when talking about animals.
You know what I meant. You're a pretty smart guy, I've read enough of your posts to know that.

MacDracor said:
Perhaps I should clarify for the few people who didn't understand what I was talking about.
If an animal naturally eats shrimp, seaweed, or clams, then feeding shrimp, seaweed, or clams to that animal isn't feeding it people food. It's just "feeding it."
Feeding bread to ducks, hamburger to dogs, tuna salad to cats, etc are feeding people food. And are generally very bad for the animal.
Every food you mentioned is animal food people happen to eat. But a hamburger is not acceptable for a dog. Ever. "food is food" is a dangerous statement to make when talking about animals.
You know what I meant. You're a pretty smart guy, I've read enough of your posts to know that.

That makes sense even though my dogs get an occasional potato chip. But in some ways, the stuff many folks buy, especially flake foods, are processed foods in the fishy world. While my fish...and my dogs can lead healthy lives on dried food, I think a little fresh stuff is good for dogs and fish. Just don't feed potato chips to the fish. (okay...even potato chips might not be that bad for a fish). But I like the discussion. I have friends that feed nothing but live food they make in their fish rooms. Boy, are their fish happy.

Back
Top Bottom