Acclimated freshwater fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all, was wondering what fish people have acclimated to salt water. Ive heard of mollies, guppies, and even a silver tip shark. Anyways id appreciate pics and details.

Thanks!

Well i used to have bala sharks ive heard they can do it and i no theyre hardy try them with a lower salinity like 1.021-1.023 andits fine for sw too

Sharklover said:
Well i used to have bala sharks ive heard they can do it and i no theyre hardy try them with a lower salinity like 1.021-1.023 andits fine for sw too

I have one. Ill try and convert him!

Good luck let me no how it turns out and btw do a very slow acclimation

While it's certainly possible to acclimate a freshwater fish to saltwater, if the fish doesn't naturally live at least part of it's life in saltwater, this can be very stressful, and lead to a shorter life.
I wouldn't recommend trying this on any fish that doesn't do it in the wild.

MacDracor said:
While it's certainly possible to acclimate a freshwater fish to saltwater, if the fish doesn't naturally live at least part of it's life in saltwater, this can be very stressful, and lead to a shorter life.
I wouldn't recommend trying this on any fish that doesn't do it in the wild.

Its not like im gonna try it with just any fish... im only gonna try with fish i know it can be done with. Like brackish fish. Its not like im gonna throw a cichlid in my tank and hope it works...

I know, and I wasn't suggesting you were going to. It's just that brackish fish will not do well in full marine or full fresh (a few exceptions). I read a thread about someone wanting to do this with guppies a while back, but don't remember where it was. One of the commenters had some great information regarding why fish need certain salinities. I'll look for it.
Anyway, this is all just my opinion, of course, but freshwater fish should stay in freshwater, salties in salt, brackish in brackish.
But I'm also the guy who is strongly against any pet of any sort ever eating people food (irritated my ex gf with that one. LOL)

Yah that would be bad but just google bala sharks in sw and evrybody will tell u,you need a big tank,but i had 2 in a 37 for over a year before i got rid of my fw stuff and converted to sw

Lol i heard you can feed fish lettuce or cellary and some other greens

Lol i heard you can feed fish lettuce or cellary and some other greens

I know... and it totally violates my no people food rule. I justify that one because it is not processed in any way, just selectively propagated to produce more crop over the centuries.
Still, for *most* fish, I'd hazard a bet that there are better foods than lettuce, celery, etc. I feel like I'm being preachy now... I don't mean to.

mr_X said:
What would be the point? Salt water fish are way nicer looking.

This is the reason I chose salt over fresh. The saltwater fish are much more visually appealing. Also, they live in saltwater, no acclimation necessary lol.

I hear ya. The next fish I want is a flame angel. $60 locally. But, if I wasn't able to save up for that, I might choose a coral beauty angel for $24 at the same store.
Damsels, chromis, some gobies, can often be found for under $10. Add slowly, one fish at a time. It's an expensive hobby, but it's a slow one, too.
Another thing to consider is that even at $3 each for Bala sharks, you'll be replacing them every few weeks, even if acclimated slowly. They are purely freshwater fish, and marine conditions will kill them.

mr_X said:
If money is the issue, you might want to stay completely fresh water then. All the $1.99 fish you can shake a stick at!

Well with the hundreds thats been spent already on my tank, giving ups not an option... just would rather get some cheap fish that if they die im out a few bucks rather than $50.

Travis55 said:
Well with the hundreds thats been spent already on my tank, giving ups not an option... just would rather get some cheap fish that if they die im out a few bucks rather than $50.

Well then it sounds like your in need of some damsels. I see them as low as 2.99 for the blues. Mean buggars though. If tgey dont die, youll probably want them too eventually lol

Gboy66 said:
Well then it sounds like your in need of some damsels. I see them as low as 2.99 for the blues. Mean buggars though. If tgey dont die, youll probably want them too eventually lol

Why would i want damsels? I just rid of 2 yellow tailed

Gboy66 said:

+1... I wouldn't wish those little demons on anybody's tank after trying to catch mine for a month lol

Travis55 said:
Why would i want damsels? I just rid of 2 yellow tailed

LOL!! How would i know that?

You cant deal with the price of nicer fish, so i suggested the cheapest possible sw fish. Better than mollys IMO

Back
Top Bottom