Acclimating a brackish fish to SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been reading a couple threads about keeping brackish fish in a SW aquarium. Has anybody tried this? I would like to put a couple little spotted or figure eight puffers in with my porcupine :)

BTW, I read one guy has a figure eight in a SW tank for like 12 years. He said it only took a day to acclimate them to the difference in SG. I thought this to be a little quick on acclimation but ????

You mignt pm Pufferpunk about this and which species will do best in a full SW environment. I I were to do it, I would raise the SG very slowly, maybe .001 every two days until the target SG is reached.

Cool, I just wrote about this in the new article I'm getting published. I can be done quicker than you think.

Whenever I change a fish over from FW-BW, BW-SW, or visa-versa, I use a drip system. I put the fish in a bucket below the tank I will be moving it into, covered by water about 1" over its head, from the tank the puffers were living in. I tie a knot in an air hose until it drips enough water into the bucket to raise or lower the SG in the bucket .001/hour.

The problem you really have is, you cannot keep those fish together. A porcpuff will grow to 12+", F8 2 1/2-3", GSP 6". Not a good combo.

So you think the porcupine will kill/harrass the smaller puffers? I was kind of afraid of that. Thanks for the info though!

Back
Top Bottom