Acclimating a full FW Molly and Fiddler into SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some molly fry and perhaps a fiddler that I'd like to introduce to my SW tank from my FW tank, Just one or two until I can get my other fish in there.

I was just curious, how would I go about aclimating them?

Drip method? Tie the airhose so they only drip about 1 ever second or two and give them overnight?

Or what?

do not know if a bw fish will do well in a sw tank. i think the water has too much salt in it for them to live. but i could be wrong

Not sure why you would want to take up limited stock space in your setup, but you have the right idea on acclimation only I would do it over a longer period. Days instead of hours raising the SG only 1-2 per day. Although the mollie can survive in SW if you do it to quickly it may shock and kill them.

Then if you choose to take them out you will have to reverse the process.

I had mollies in my SW tank. When I acclimated them, I left bag in water for 15-20 mins until temp was about the same. Then I would add 1/2-1 cup of water from the tank every ten minutes. I probably added 3 cups before i added them to tank. Never lost a one doing that. Now going from SW to FW, I havent been so lucky.

afilter said:
Not sure why you would want to take up limited stock space in your setup, but you have the right idea on acclimation only I would do it over a longer period. Days instead of hours raising the SG only 1-2 per day. Although the mollie can survive in SW if you do it to quickly it may shock and kill them.

Then if you choose to take them out you will have to reverse the process.

I probably won't be able to afford the clowns or watchmen goby I want for a long while, So I wanted to make the tank a little more active.

Maybe I'll just pick up a few more hermits and misc inverts instead..

I know it can be frustrating, but patience is the key to the SW hobby.

Hey if you have fry in large amounts do you have an LFS that will buy/trade for them? When I was if FW for a while I supported my hobby/habit :) but selling live plant cuttings and angel fish.

Whatever you decide to do good luck,

I've only got 15 fry.

and ontop of that, they already have hundreds of mollies in their tanks. So its not like they'd give me a special deal cause they didn't have any or anything.

afilter said:
Yeah, I was dealing with smaller LFS.

Theres only one privately owned LFS around me that I know of.

and they have a major superiority problem, I.E. acting like they don't even NEED you, even when your in the store they act as if you bother them when you ask them anything, Heck.. act like your bothering them by just being IN the store.

and this Attitude comes from the owners! I think their th only employees

Er, anyways [/rant]

Yeah, mollies are real popular around here, so I'd be lucky to get an ounce of cheapo fishflake food for 15 of my beautiful, diases free molly fry

I was interested in doing this with my columbian shark and a couple brackish puffers and a guy on here I think his name was puffer something said the conversion can actually be done rather quickly. He said you can raise the SG .001 per hour, so if you're going from 1.008 to 1.025 it should take roughly 17 hours.

Back
Top Bottom