Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2003, 09:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

acclimating fals percula clown

Ive had this little clown for about a week. its about 1.5" still a baby. its in a 10 gal nano with a few mushrooms, GSP, yellow polyps, and some buttons. ever since I got the fish it only stays at the top of the tank happily swimming. even at night its up by the PH waddling around. Ive never seen him go down to check out the corals. I was hoping it would host with one of the mushrooms or others. Is it just too juvenile and full of energy to chill out in one spot?

Old 09-19-2003, 12:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Both of my clowns are the same way...i have only seen them swim to the bottom area of the tank a few times, they both sleep in the middle of the tank behind one of my fluval tubes, using the bracket from the suction cup as a "bed". They always seem to be at the top or mid level of the tank. I have never seen them swim around my LR at all.

Old 09-19-2003, 01:53 AM   #3
steve-s

Very common behavour for most clowns. Once they "claim" or feel comfortable in a certain area of the tank, they will seldom stray far from that area unless they find something better.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-19-2003, 01:10 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I've found clowns to be even more sedentary when first introduced to a tank. They hardly move at all, even less so than normal. It can last for a week or so. After that they'll probably explore the tank some more and find a spot they like.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is the clown a tank raised fish or wild? I have a pair of tank raised false perc's and they are constantly on the move...they tend to stay around mid depth most of the day...but are constantly zooming around the tank...nevermind when I try to view them...They see me coming from a mile away and BEG to be fed. I have to say, IMHO, tank raised fish are great.
Old 09-20-2003, 04:59 PM   #6

its tank raised. still at the top.

I dont want to sound like a bad fish owner but I did the first water change with the fish in the tank. I am still new at this so when trying to match the same salinity I still dont have a system of how much salt to use for water changes. the salinity I keep is at 25. after the water change the salinity was only 23. I was told to wait awhile before checking so the salt will have time to mix. after about 30 min the fish looked distressed and was swimming sideways up by the PH. I checked salinity and it only came to 23 so I quickly adjusted it to match 25. the fish quickly recovered but it scared me. him to I imagine. is there a fail safe way to match salinity better during water changes? I have to do this every week. 8O
Old 09-20-2003, 05:28 PM   #7
steve-s

Matching the temp when mixing new saltwater for changes is going to help get a much more accurate reading. You should also be ensuring there is a good ph match as well. Try not to change more than about 10-15% weekly and it will allow for less impact on the system itself.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-20-2003, 09:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisanthrope
its tank raised. still at the top.

I dont want to sound like a bad fish owner but I did the first water change with the fish in the tank. I am still new at this so when trying to match the same salinity I still dont have a system of how much salt to use for water changes. the salinity I keep is at 25. after the water change the salinity was only 23. I was told to wait awhile before checking so the salt will have time to mix. after about 30 min the fish looked distressed and was swimming sideways up by the PH. I checked salinity and it only came to 23 so I quickly adjusted it to match 25. the fish quickly recovered but it scared me. him to I imagine. is there a fail safe way to match salinity better during water changes? I have to do this every week. 8O
did you mix the salt 24 hr in advance in a seperate container? it sounds like you added the salt to the tank which would def be a big problem.
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 06:54 PM   #9

ofcourse I didnt pour salt into the tank. but I mixed it only a few hours before. I will now mix it the day before.
thanks
Old 09-21-2003, 08:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
sorry did not mean to insult and as for the hours before don't tell anyone but i have done that myself on occasion

http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, percula

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com