Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
yea, I got more mollies than planned, actually more than twice what i thought i was getting but I did not loose any fish over the process, other than a few babies due to the parents making a meal. But the 25 gallon has been going for over 3 years and has had a bunch of different fish moved in and out of it so It is cycled more than enough. I had plans to give away half the mollies since I didnt not need near that amount but no one has wanted any so they have all gone through the acclimation process. The rubbermaid tub is no longer cloudyand the fish are doing good and eating so I would like to feed a couple to my other fish to lighten the load a bit but cant feed them to my cichlids since I assume saltwater fish would be no good for freshwater fishes meal

mikeward500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
I have a set of ballon mollies i got for free... and heard about this little experiment.. I put them directly into my saltwater tank and they.. honestly loved it lol.. no acclimation whats so ever.. The temperatures are the same.. so it wasnt a total shock to them.

Wow..just found this thread and didnt pay attention to the date.. sorry lol

MichaelsLilGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have breed mollies for years in both fresh and saltwater and can safely tell you that acclimating them into saltwater just like you would with fresh water will not harm the fish and is in fact how we saltwatered most of our sw mollies.
shadow14725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Crazy chaps

I managed easily with 6 mollies over a maximum of 40 minutes...placed them in a bucket and added small amounts of tank water every 5 - 10 minutes. After their intro to the tank within 15 minutes their breathing was at a normal rate and they were accepting flake food like nothing had happend...save your self 48 hours messing about and get them maturing ya tank asap.
HENSON12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
I did it with guppies into my reef tank a while back. As long as you acclimate them slowly, mines was over several weeks of 10% water changes with the "new water" being salt water you should be ok.
The guppies did fairly well however some of the older ones did not like it, and I think there life span decreased because of it. However the younger ones, fry included who are super sensitive, lived and are still alive today in my reef tank.
Honestly though, it looked cool at first, but I wouldn't do it, it just looks out of place to have them in there.

I know guppies aren't mollies, but they are very close.

th08tu is offline   Reply With Quote

freshwater, mollies, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com