Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Acclimating full freshwater mollies to saltwater

Hi, just wondering I have gotten about 20 mollies very cheap in various sizes, from 1/4inch to fully mature. They were all in full freshwater and I would like to make them full-marine but dont want to kill them. Right now the only thing saltwater is a piece of live rockand a VERY small amount of saltwater that was with the rock. I checked the salinity and does not read anything and the mollies are going great and eating and courting good. I have them currntly in a large rubber maid tub that i belive is around 25-30gallons with just an airstone for now and am going to add an overflow tomorrow.

how long should I take out the acclimating process since they have never had saltwater until now? I know on many sites/forums including this one I seen 7-8 hours will work but when I mentioned it at the store the woman said weeks or months which sounded a bit strange since naturally they swim from one to the other. I was thinking about just a little per week or possibly a bit per day. My purpose is to use the live fry as live food once they are acclimated ans breeding.

any help would be very appreciated.

thanks in advance,
mike

Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I didn't even know that was possible very interesting. I am curious to hear about the results???????????????????????????????

The "experts" are many, but the truths are few. "When we have stopped learning, we have stopped listening" FijiWigi_Tank_photos
[U][COLOR=#22229c]
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #3

It is possible with mollies since their natural habitat can be either fresh or saltwater although most mollies in any petstore I have seen are fully freshwater. This is one test I hope to pass LOL, and so far they are all still eating like crazy and the males are chasing the females doing their courting so I assume all is good so far
Old 03-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I've heard that a slow drip acclimation for 6 to 12 hours would work fine, and there are people on here that have done it in 3-4 and some who have done it over a few weeks. I would play it say and say over a day or two's time at the soonest.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It is possible but I would either do a looong drip or set up a QT and increase the salinity over a long period of time. Hopefully someone with direct experience will chime in. I hear they are great algae grazers (not sure on the type of algae).

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I know that Hara has had success acclimating mollies from fresh to full SW.I'll see if I can find her thread on how she did it. You could pm her and ask her more detailed questions.

Baby Sailfin Mollies

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I believe that it will take days to do. They need to be acclimated very slowly.

Here is a thread

Sailfin Molly (Fresh-to-Salt Journey) - Fantasyreef Forum
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #8

I work at a pet store, and we tried this with a black molly. It didnt really take as long as we thought. And he did really well. we was in one of our tank for about a month and became kind of a mascot. but we ended up selling it. so now someone else has a unique fish to look at
Old 04-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #9

I had a last minute decision to make the other day. I was upping the level little by little and then saw since I put about 20 mollies in a rubbermaid the ammonia levels were sky rocketing so I added a large airstone and changed some water to the same salt level but they were still breathing rapidly so since I have gotten rid of the one damsel I thoughtwhy not try puttinga couple in the 25gallon which is quite a bit higher than the other salt level. Anyways I put them in there 2 nights ago and all are doing great, well other than the 2 small ones which the adults made a meal of.

the ones in the rubbermaid are doing good again so hopefully i have the salt level up to full marine level in a couple days so the fish will have less salinity change which I am sure is tough as any change would be

Old 04-06-2008, 11:54 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It sounds like you are cycling the rubbermaid with the fish. Remember, ammonia and nitrItes are highly toxic to fish (that's why a lot of folks do a more humane fishless cycle).

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freshwater, mollies, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com