Acclimating new fish!!! Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How should I go about doing this? I'll be getting a pair of clowns tomorrow. Fairly rare...around here anyway.

I want them to do great...so what procedure do I need to follow?

Speakerman, I wish you the best but......

I have had my 37 gal setup twice as long as you, doing EVERYTHING right, aragonite LS and RO/DI water, and good powerheads, ect., ect., and I will not add fish yet......I want to get a pair of clowns just like you, I saw a pair of black perculas, the sickest clowns ever IMHO, and I just had to have them, so I paid the LFS 2/3 of their value, 40$, and I am letting my tank really finish cycleing before I add them. I was tempted to, but better judgement took over and I am going to wait so I can enjoy my 60$ fish and not worry about them dying!

I understand you params are "acceptable" now, but your bacterial base cannot withstand you adding not ONE but TWO fish, You just added a ton of LR to your tank and seeded or not, you stll have a dead sand bed.

NO3 @ 20ppm is still WAY to high, you need to get that down to atleast 5 before you add fish, otherwise you will have one heck of a time doing so afterwards..........If you cant get your water under control without fish in it, how do you expect to do so afterwards?!?!?

You stand a great chance of killing these fish unless you have over 20 gal of SW on hand for PWC's as your tank spikes after you add the fish. Your tank is 37 gal, 15% is like 6 gallons, so you will need a lot of GOOD RO/DI water on hand that you know is the right salinity(do not rely on a hydrometer)........

Please wait a couple more weeks, there will be more clowns I promise, if not then put a down payment on them if your LFS will allow you.

And FWIW, buying fish that just came in the night before is not a wise move, even if you have a well established aquarium. Disease will start to show in a few days should the fish be sick...that way you dont take home a dying or infected fish with something you do not want in you tank i.e. Ich.....

Good advice bro. I'm going to wait at least another week...Probobly longer...I think I will install my new lights when they get here...then wait another week or longer after that...I'm under the impression that the lights will cause another small cycle anyway.

WTG, If you wait just a little longer im sure you will enjoy great success, especially with the lights you are getting, which happen to be bad a**!!!!.....Also, just a warning, expect a huge algae bloom with the addition of those lights!

Reef tanks take longer to get going, but their beauty andease of up-keep only increases with their age!...Your patience will save you $$$ and be well worth it for your livestock!

There is no better feeling than going to the LFS and buying fish knowing they will be happier in your tank than at the store, not sicker!

You are doing great posting here first, I promise you no one on this sight will steer you wrong, you will get much better advice here than from the LFS that is dying to sell you a fish....after all if it dies you will be back to buy another right?

I'm under the impression that the lights will cause another small cycle anyway.
Only if it kills stuff off, which I doubt. I agree with getting the trates down to near 5 or zero. Just waiting for a bit is good advice.

Whatcha got in there? How much rock, sand, cleaning crew???

I'm going to wait at least another week...Probobly longer.
Definitely way to go!
The lights might cause an algae bloom rather than another cycle.

Back
Top Bottom