Acclimating soft corals to my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's the best way to do this? I'm thinking about a leather, and some polyps...

Some people drip acclimate them to the water already in the tank. I like to let it set in the tank for 30 minutes and then add about a 1/2 cup of SW from the tank to the bag every 20 minutes. After about 2 1/2 hours I remove and place in the tank.

I second the above method. I have used this meathod for a while and have nover lost a coral or fish during aclimation. I also leave the lights off during aclimation for both fish and corals.

Cool, thanks. No different to fish/inverts then really!

I just read something about shaking them upside down to remove excess mucus etc. before adding?

MarkW19 said:
Cool, thanks. No different to fish/inverts then really!

I just read something about shaking them upside down to remove excess mucus etc. before adding?

There should be a little difference. Corals should take more time than fish as they need more acclimation. I`ve never heard of the shaking upside down part. I`m not saying it`s wrong just never heard that.

I don't "shake", but I do "lightly" swish around the coral to get any debris and mucous off it before it goes in the tank. I also drip acclimate, just like my fish - but usually for a longer period. Since the corals don't need the oxygen levels like fish, they can spend a little longer acclimating - assuming the temperature stays constant. All depends on how different the LFS's water is from mine.

I too drip acclimate and then swich the coral in the bucket or rinse it in tank water before placing it in the tank. Some corals do have a lot of mucous or other debris on them.

cmor1701d said:
Some corals do have a lot of mucous or other debris on them.

I guess leathers would be good examples of this. Also soft corals like colt corals.

Back
Top Bottom