Acclimating Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all! First off let me say I am in the path of hurricane Ivan. I don't have a generator, but I did buy two battery powered air pumps (one for my main 60 gallon and one for the quarantine). So, I am a little nervous about that. And to make matters worse, my starfish (Echinaster sp.) that I was supposed to get about a week ago, just arrived today! So.... I am currently dripping the star to my main tank. My concern is the star being exposed to air. I was very careful in placing it in the bucket, but it keeps crawling up to the water's surface and sticking it's arms out of the water. I moved it to the center of the bucket a couple times, but it has other ideas in mind.

Should I be concerned?

Also, I am planning on dripping for about 4 hours. Should this be ok?

TIA!

First of all, you be safe down there and take care. We are thinking of you all.
As for the star, I have one (for the past 10 months), she is a glass climber. On several occasions she has done this in the main, sticking her arms out of the water. Never suffered any ill effects, pretty tough star. Just avoid touching her. Oils in our skin can do some damage.
Your drip acclimation sould be fine. Where did you get her? I've been looking for another for months? (see gallery for mine (Peach)).

Quarryshark,

Thanks for your reply. Your starfish, Peach, looks identical to my new star, Barnaby. :) I purchased him from LiveAquaria.com - they had been out of this particular star forever but I happened to check several days ago and they were in! I hope everything goes ok during the hurricane. I purchased two battery powered air pumps but it says that one pump aerates 7.5 gallons. My main tank is 60 gallons! I know that I should position the airstone near the surface of the water... I don't know what else to do... I'm scared....

:cry:

Yes point it towards the surface, get the surface agitation going. You only have 1 fish? Thats good light bioload. Can you get another pump?
If the power goes out, maybe a blanket to wrap around the tank to help keep it from heating up too fast. A cooler full of ice, you could always float an ice bag.
Any other ideas folks??

Acclimating Starfish and Hurricane Worries

I bought two of the air pumps but I am going to use one for my QT as I have a clown in there. But, yes, I only have the regal tang and several inverts in my main tank. I have several bottles of water frozen and ready to float.... What other precautionary actions should I take??

I would keep a couple buckets of change water if you can. Also agitate the water once in a while to help with O2 exchange.
Anyone else?

Thanks, Quarryshark! Keep your fingers crossed for all of us in the path of the hurricane! I'll post updates when it's all over. Hopefully my tank inhabitants (and myself) will weather the storm...

:uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom