Acclimating Xenia and Clove Polyp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting my frags from Ducky tomorrow, and was wondering what method would be best to acclimate them. Here's the three methods I was deciding between (I normally do #1)

1. Add two basters of tank water to bag, wait 10 minutes. Remove 2 basters of bag water (discard) add 3 basters of tank water, wait 10 minutes. Continue for 1 hour. Remove organism from bag and place in tank. Discard bag water.

2. Add 1 cup of tank water every 15 minutes to bag. (A Suggestion)

3. Drip method with airline tubing and knots. If this is a good method, what drip rate?

I just added a cup of tank water, and threw the xenia in. It's alive and well. Im sure you think im an idiot, but besides that I think your method one is the best, but an hour seems a little long.

I have dripped everything I have gotten since I found this site. I think it is 4-5 drops a second. I just float them for about 30-45 min and then drip them at a nice rate for about 2-3 hours. Normally replace about a gallon of water to the sump when done.

Maybe overkill but ... all is alive and well. *cross fingers...knock on wood* :)

When I got my xenia yesterday I added a paper cup of tank water to its bag every five minutes for an hour, then put it in...though I can't tell you if that is really the best way to do it (dripping probably is), the polyps on mine are pretty much out and about, though the stalks are still drooped over.

well how big is your baster? Some of us have bigger basters than others :wink:

1 and 2 are pretty much the same, you just adding a little different. What I do usualy is float the bag in the tank for about 15-20 minutes. leaving the bag in the tank I then add about 1/2 cup of water every 15-20 minutes over the course of another hour. Afterwards I remove the critter and place in the tank, discarding the bag water.

The drip method is the most "gentle" acclimation and, IMO, isn't always necessary. If you have something sensative I'd drip acclimate.

I like 1/4 cup of tank water every 7-10 mins. until bag is full. Then discard half of the water in the bag and add 1/4 cup tank water every 5 mins until bag is full again, then add specimens to your tank. It has worked very well for me.

Back
Top Bottom