Acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SABOB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wondering what people do with new livestock

drip acclimation
pouring 1 cup of your water in bag
freshwater dip

Also how many use QT or do you put livestock directly into display tank?

Most people drip acclimate. I myself drip acclimate eveyrhing for even longer than recomended. It's so easy to do why risk harming/killing a new specimen.

IMO a Q tank is a MUST!! Belive me, sooner or later you will get burnt if you keep adding fish to your display tank. If you're worried about cost just use a cheap rubbermaid container w/ a cheap filter a decent heater and a couple pieces of PVC for the fish to hide in/around. You don't need anything fancy or elaborate to be functional.

well i did just do 1/2 cup every 10 min 3x untill i did more reading on the drip. it takes less work and i think it is better on the fish.

I have always put my livestock into a QT. When it was ready to be put into the display tank, I drip acclimated him. I've never lost a fish that way, and it rarely even seems to be stressed when it is acclimated him that way.

Ok got it! Since I just started and had no clue what I was getting into, I have no fish. I'll only have a few since I only have a 20g tank, but with the 20g tank will I need a quarantine tank or possibly look at the 20g as later being a quarantine tank for the 55g I plan on saving up for?

should i do a drip for my soft corals that i am going to get tonight? or can i just flote and add a 1/2 cup of water. and if i shopuld drip dose it have to be as long as fish? 1-2 hours

I drip everything, but I don't think you will experience problems adding 1/2 cup every 5-10 minutes untill the bag is full, empty 1/2 the water from the bag and start doing it again, next time the bag is full you vcan add the coral.

Back
Top Bottom