Acclimation of star fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to order my star fish this week. I know I need to drip him for 6-8 hours. How can I do it this slow? I have never drip acclimated before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ( Oh, it is an orange linkia) TIA!

Just use a piece of air line hosing and tie a knot in it so it drips very slow. Over the course of a few hours loosen the knot so it drips faster.

Don't want to hijack your thread but, How do you keep the water in the bag or other vessel your using at the proper temp when dripping for that long ??

Just curious

Mike

A small heater is the easiest way to keep the water in the bucket warm during drip acclimation, imo.

well when i drip fish i drip them for 2 hours. i do not flote them for 30 before i start the drip but rather after. i am putting water at the tank temp in there slowly so it will rase the temp of the water that has the fish vary slowly.

I use a 5 gallon bucket that I fll with water and a heater before I get whatever I'm acclimating. Then when I get home I float the bag in the bucket w/ heater for 20 minutes and then start drip acclimating from there.

I use the creature keepers by lees. They hang on my sump and I run a drip line with a valve on it. Start the siphon and adjust the valve to your prefered drops per second. I keep the base of the container underwater and it keeps the temp stable. When the water level in the container gets up to the top I pour off 1/2 of the water. See pic below.

I am wondering if a knot will be enough to control the flow. How fast should it drip to last 6 hours? How many drops per second? I will put the bag in a bucket and I anticipate the water will fill up the bag and then spill over into the bucket. Is this what you do? :roll:

Oh, I live in Phoenix, so the heater is not necessary, I have never had one in my tank! I do have a chiller though.

You can also use a strong clothes peg or other spring loaded clamping device. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom