acclimation period for livestock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickthapainter

Aquarium Advice Activist
My new tank and everyone inside just went through a horribly stressful move. I bought the tank used and there is quite a lot of both fish and corals. The tank is quite large and I was only able to salvage 40 gallons of the original tanks water (75% water change). I am a toatl newbie to the aquarium world -- although I have spent many hours on research (mostly this site but also through books by Calfo, Borneman, Paleta, and Fenner -- definite must reads!).

I'm currently on day 2 and everything seems to be relatively stable -- fish are feeding, water parameters are acceptable). The skimmer that came with the system doesn't seem to be doing much (ordering a new one from captivereefs).

To the point:

As i was in a rush to set the tank up in order to get the livestock situated, I never had time to properly aquascape nor place the corals (leathers, shrooms, bubble looking corals or anenomes) in suitable locations.

I'm thinking that it is best to wait before moving anything -- at least a week or so -- to not add anymore stress to the tank.

Sound plan or not?

TIA

nick

A couple of days should be fine. The corals will not be bothered by it much. It's really the fish you need to be concerned about moreso. Their reactions are easy enough to guage as far as stress is concerned. Personally I would suggest small daily "reconstructions" than anything else. The less time you spend in the tank each time the less stressful on the inhabitants.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom