Accumilate Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HereFishyFishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a green mushroom, finger leather, and goniopora.

I have 900w of MH lighting in a 110g tank.

Do I need to accumulate the lighting?
Should I just have the lights on for one hour the first day, and increase an hour each day?

Or will they be fine just running the lights for eight hours?

TIA

I would acclimate them to the lighting. Where did you purchase them from, and what kind of lighting were they under? :wink:

I would agree with revhtree and slowly acclimate them. The only time I do not acclimate my corals to lighting ( I ALWAYS acclimate them to water params) is when I purchase them from a LFS in my area and the tank is pretty much identical to mine in lighting output.

If you do not acclimate them and the light is to much for them you could at best just bleach them some and have them be unhappy for awhile and at worst completely kill them.

One way is to keep the lights on for shorter periods working your way up, although some still say that burned for an hour or burned for 8 hours, your still burned. Another way is to move the lighting higher up above the tank if possible and slowly lower it.
And finally I have heard of people buying sheets of the screen door mesh and layering that up and slowly removing a sheet every few days.

I have been told filtering(screen mesh) is the best way for light acclimation. Start with multiple layers and remove a layer every day or two.

Back
Top Bottom