Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Achilles Tang

Achilles Tang

Anyone know why these are listed as such a difficult species of tang to keep? I was considering getting one but i think my 90 gallon will be to small for it in the long run. Still just curious as to why they have such a bad reputation. Seems like the care would be similar to the other tangs (powder blues and browns are the same family and people seem to do ok with them).

Old 08-07-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
Achilles Tang

Anyone know why these are listed as such a difficult species of tang to keep? I was considering getting one but i think my 90 gallon will be to small for it in the long run. Still just curious as to why they have such a bad reputation. Seems like the care would be similar to the other tangs (powder blues and browns are the same family and people seem to do ok with them).
I think a lot has to do with where they live in nature. Which is in the reef crest with highly oxygenated water and they are constantly swiming. I would definitely advise against an Achilles in a 90-gallon tank. You really need a 6' tank for how active they are. You also need lots of flow and a big skimmer to help oxygenate the water.
These fish also seem to get sick easier than most. I have an Achilles Tang and it is the only fish in my tank which ever shows signs of Ich. They are also difficult to get eating. I have read many threads of people being unable to keep Achilles.

Here is a picture of my favorite fish in my tank. I need to get some updated pictures of him, this is an older pic. I have had him for around 7-months now.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

But he's sooooo preety.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Achilles Tang

Yes according to this link they are "for experts only". Does not say why though.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Yeah i figured at least a six foot tank would be required which is why i decided i would not be able to keep one. Tangs seem to get sick easier when they are cramped. They are a beautiful fish though. When i get a bigger tank ( i'm sure I will be upgrading from the 90 one day) this fish will be top on my list. Hopefully by then people have a little more information about how to keep them happy and healths a little easier.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I just saw you already had the link. Sorry about posting it again.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
Yeah i figured at least a six foot tank would be required which is why i decided i would not be able to keep one. Tangs seem to get sick easier when they are cramped. They are a beautiful fish though. When i get a bigger tank ( i'm sure I will be upgrading from the 90 one day) this fish will be top on my list. Hopefully by then people have a little more information about how to keep them happy and healths a little easier.
The info is already there and well known why they are hard to keep. Most people dont have the correct setup and dont do their homework on the fish. The aquarist really needs to recreate the part of the ocean the Achilles are harvested from to the best of our abilities. Plus, they are finicky eaters. Some fish just have a harder time acclimating outside of their natural habitat and the Achilles is one of them. The only thing I didn't already mention above is that its is worth paying for a very healthy specimen to start off with and the medium sized Achilles 4"-6" seem to have the best chance of acclimating. The aquarist also needs to be able to problem solve, for example, if it is not eating what you feed then keep tyring other stuff. I must have purchased everything made for herbivores and my Achilles only like a couple of them and would ignore the rest. I purchased mine straight from Divers Den.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I just found this, by Bob Fenner.... sounds pretty familiar A. achilles
The only thing I didn't do which he recommended in that link was the Freshwater Dip. The Achilles is the ONLY fish in my tank that did not recieve a PH adjusted Freshwater/Methylene Blue Dip. I was too scared to do it on a fish that cost me close to $300. Eventhough I was successful doing it to many other fish. Plus Divers Den is very reputable place to buy fish from and typically do not send out weak/sick fish.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
wowzer! they are paying 50-60 bucks for those tangs.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
wowzer! they are paying 50-60 bucks for those tangs.
I paid close to that much just for the shipping.

Tags
chi, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com