Achilles Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
Achilles Tang

Anyone know why these are listed as such a difficult species of tang to keep? I was considering getting one but i think my 90 gallon will be to small for it in the long run. Still just curious as to why they have such a bad reputation. Seems like the care would be similar to the other tangs (powder blues and browns are the same family and people seem to do ok with them).

Achilles Tang

Anyone know why these are listed as such a difficult species of tang to keep? I was considering getting one but i think my 90 gallon will be to small for it in the long run. Still just curious as to why they have such a bad reputation. Seems like the care would be similar to the other tangs (powder blues and browns are the same family and people seem to do ok with them).

I think a lot has to do with where they live in nature. Which is in the reef crest with highly oxygenated water and they are constantly swiming. I would definitely advise against an Achilles in a 90-gallon tank. You really need a 6' tank for how active they are. You also need lots of flow and a big skimmer to help oxygenate the water.
These fish also seem to get sick easier than most. I have an Achilles Tang and it is the only fish in my tank which ever shows signs of Ich. They are also difficult to get eating. I have read many threads of people being unable to keep Achilles.

Here is a picture of my favorite fish in my tank. I need to get some updated pictures of him, this is an older pic. I have had him for around 7-months now.
img_1144164_0_db39b136729fa72b9940340739aa2723.jpg

Yeah i figured at least a six foot tank would be required which is why i decided i would not be able to keep one. Tangs seem to get sick easier when they are cramped. They are a beautiful fish though. When i get a bigger tank ( i'm sure I will be upgrading from the 90 one day) this fish will be top on my list. Hopefully by then people have a little more information about how to keep them happy and healths a little easier.

Yeah i figured at least a six foot tank would be required which is why i decided i would not be able to keep one. Tangs seem to get sick easier when they are cramped. They are a beautiful fish though. When i get a bigger tank ( i'm sure I will be upgrading from the 90 one day) this fish will be top on my list. Hopefully by then people have a little more information about how to keep them happy and healths a little easier.

The info is already there and well known why they are hard to keep. Most people dont have the correct setup and dont do their homework on the fish. The aquarist really needs to recreate the part of the ocean the Achilles are harvested from to the best of our abilities. Plus, they are finicky eaters. Some fish just have a harder time acclimating outside of their natural habitat and the Achilles is one of them. The only thing I didn't already mention above is that its is worth paying for a very healthy specimen to start off with and the medium sized Achilles 4"-6" seem to have the best chance of acclimating. The aquarist also needs to be able to problem solve, for example, if it is not eating what you feed then keep tyring other stuff. I must have purchased everything made for herbivores and my Achilles only like a couple of them and would ignore the rest. I purchased mine straight from Divers Den.

I just found this, by Bob Fenner.... sounds pretty familiar A. achilles
The only thing I didn't do which he recommended in that link was the Freshwater Dip. The Achilles is the ONLY fish in my tank that did not recieve a PH adjusted Freshwater/Methylene Blue Dip. I was too scared to do it on a fish that cost me close to $300. Eventhough I was successful doing it to many other fish. Plus Divers Den is very reputable place to buy fish from and typically do not send out weak/sick fish.

Yeah i would have to make sure that i got a health fish before i even considered putting it in my tank. But really if i got one of those i would like to have it in a 8 foot tank so it really has room to swim. Tangs seem to do so much better when they have enough room. I just don't think i would be able to provide for it right now. One day i will get a tank big enough and keep a whole bunch of foods to be able feed them properly.

Yeah i would have to make sure that i got a health fish before i even considered putting it in my tank. But really if i got one of those i would like to have it in a 8 foot tank so it really has room to swim. Tangs seem to do so much better when they have enough room. I just don't think i would be able to provide for it right now. One day i will get a tank big enough and keep a whole bunch of foods to be able feed them properly.

The bigger the better.

Acanthurus Achilles has a terrible mortality rate here. When you consider other fish like A.Japonicus and A.Leucosternon which have much better chances of living here it is really quite puzzling.

Unfortunately, unlike the US markets they command a huge retail value here ($AUD 500-1000).

It is disappointing but I believe the capture and handling processes on their way here are what leaves them in less than ideal capacity to build up any strength or immunity.

I tried one last year, even with my experience I failed and later opted for the Powder Blue Tang instead.

Back
Top Bottom