Achilles Tang ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Went by today to check on the tang. Someone walked in on Saturday and bought it. :? Person who bought it did not even know what it was (per sales guy). Hope it does not take a ride on the porcelain express. :drain: It sold in 2 days so I think they will have another soon.

Sorry to hear that. I am sure it's time will be short lived. Too bad, I think it would have had a better chance with you.

yeah surely would have. Being in a 525 gallon tank is a big advantage right there. I dont know why pet outlets sell people fish when they must know thier chance for survival is slim to none. You could always consider ordering an achllies from Live Aquaria and getting the 2 week discount.....

hey I noticed a copperband butterfly in your gallery. How long have you had him and how has his health held up. If you can keep one of those guys kicking you might do fine with an achllies.

Hmmm... Bob Fenner, Scott Michael, and Pablo Teapot all list the Copperband Butterfly as one of thier "not for captivity" or "unkeepable" marine fish. Even Jeff Kurtz from TFH speaks to thier difficulty and admits to losing one fairly recently when it went on a hunger strike. I have never kept one personally because of these claims.

macman The copperband is doing fine (now). We noticed Friday that he was staying in the rocks and its attitudeand color had changed for the worst. After observing him really close and trying to feed him we discovered the problem. He had been doing so well and eating when the tank got feed he was not "pampered" anymore. He had a strong appetite but likes to examine his food before he eats it. The other fish were taking his food away while he was "checking it out". He has been target feed 3 times a day for the last 3 days and appears to be better and eating like crazy. He is out grazing on the rocks again constantly. The convict tang bumped him yesterday trying to get its food and the copperband nipped him so all seems well now. Check this out.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=65682&start=0

cool Brenden. I doubt I will try keeping one of these guys anytime soon. They are really gorgeous marine fish but my tank is stacked to the hilt. I have read that a mature reef tank of large capicity (much like yours) really helps. Sounds like you guys are very dedicated which is good to hear.

I was reading around on the sohal tang. It was classified at one place as "Reef Safe with caution" Any experience or comments on this? How aggressive are they. Will it eat my neon or eviota gobies?

cant help you with info on the sohal just wanted to say that I was disapointed for you guys seeing the achillies got sold off before it even ate at the store..
:( bummer man :(

http://www.djsreef.co.uk/index.html

He has a sohal in his reef..

A local business owner in my area (SW importer) has a sohal in his 700gal, full blown reef, softies, sps, lps, zoos, clams etc. He has had no problems with the aggressiveness, coral or other tankmates. He recommends no less that 350gal, and recommends adding them as your last fish..

the Sohal Tang is actually the Red Sea variant of the clown tang. They do need a large tank although I recommend getting one as a small juvenile (2-2.5 inches) since any clown tang is known to be very aggresive. As for eating corals and so on my Clown Tang is a model citizen so far but I hear as they get older the nibbling starts. Also there are rumors that the dorsal spine of any clown tang is venemous though I have never seen any scientific proof of that claim.

Reef safe with caution sounds right to me, but getting a juvenile I think can help the situation.

Back
Top Bottom