Achilles Tang ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
The LFS just got a achilles tang in today. It is around 4-5" long and looks really good. I always read they did not ship well and have very sensitive skin, and that is the reason people have a hard time with them. The owner said I could have it for $50. I have the itch! Someone talk me out of it.

Oooh. Hard fish. Make sure you QT him good and long.and that he's through being shy before adding him to the reef. I'm sure you'll have good luck with him once he's acclimated and happy. You have enough room there to make even the most skittish of fish comfy though.

I really LOVE the white cheek tang. Very similar in look, I like the color better, and they're easier to keep. I'd get one of those instead!

Hard fish indeed!! You can always put a deposit on the fish and be sure he is eating well and behaves normally. As Phyllis said I would QT him at least 4 weeks and almost put him in your main after he is really accustomed to you and feeding nori from a clip as well as frozen foods (Formula Two). If you pass this process then it will have passed the most difficult part. I'd go for it! I love that fish and you have more than enough space too.
The other fish Phyllis says I beleive it might be the A. japonicus and not the A. nigricans as the latter is a rather difficult fish too...

Good luck! :)

This one looked black not purple like most I have seen. The markings really stuck out on it.

yeah, I would get them to hold it for you for a few weeks before getting him. Most lfs don't, but do they have a guarantee on them at all?

Mike

I will play the devil's advocate for you....Even though they have a low survival rate, your tank is pretty darn good sized and you could possibly pull it off :)

It there any other problems with them other than being easily injured and stressing easy? I am dreading the QT. I think once in the main it will be fine. I just do not know if I feel up to the QT with knowing what I will be dealing with after Melissa's surgery.

And it is an awfully good price...especially being local and all..

Hey, we're supposed to be talking you out of this, aren't we Brian? :lol:

Mike

Yeah thanks....you were suppose to be talking me out of it...I was looking around and that is a good price huh? :)

Yes! Considering I have never seen one locally. Who knows..some people are able to keep Moorish Idols as well, so you might be lucky there. :)

Mike

I just called them. It has not ate yet but just came in today. I will go by and check on it tomorrow. (unless someone talks me out of it) :)

Several days yes. I doubt they would for a week. I will ask though. I took the guy a red mantis today so I am on their good side. :D

Wait til it's eating and snatch it up. Better you then some one who is going to cram in into a 38gal tank.

lando: My QT tanks are 30 gallon. Once it gets to the main I think it will be fine. I am scared of QT.

Try and talk to your LFS and see if they can place it on a separate tank by himself, this way stress will be much, much less. Go for it!!!

Back
Top Bottom