Achilles Tang Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megos1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I may be aquiring an Achillies Tang in the near future and I was wondering if anyone out there has had any luck or experience with keeping these guys. He will be going into my recently upgraded 75 gallon tank when it is fully cycled, etc.
So far I have a hippo tang and two green chromis in there, (I know I will need a third tang, I just haven't decided which one yet!)

Thanks

I really don't think either of those tangs should be in a 75g tank. The Hippo can easily reach 12" in length and the Achilles can get close to that as well.

I see in your post that you are going to add the achilles after the tank is fully cycled? Why do you have fish in the tank if it is not cycled yet?

Why do you think you will need a 3rd tang? 3 tangs in a 75 is probably not a good idea. I think if it were me the only tang I would have in a 75 is a yellow tang as they tend do to better in 4' tanks then most other tangs.

I agre and the Achillies Tang will mmore than likely not get along with other tangs.

The reason there are fish in the 75 is because last weekend my 50 gallon tank sprung a massive leak and I had to rush out and pick up a new tank, stand, etc. I saved almost all of the water from my old tank, moved all my rock/corals and then acclimated my fish to the new tank. What else was I supposed to do?
My water continues to test well and everyone is doing great. I'm still going to hold off on new fish for a while just to be on the safe side.
I understand that tangs get large, especially Hippos, the LFS is going to take mine in when she gets too big ... but that should be a while considering she's only 4" now.

The reason I want 3 tangs is because I've noticed that tangs usually fight if they are kept in pairs, although there are some exceptions.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how hardy they were or how difficult they are to feed..(achilles)

I have never read or heard about having 3-tangs being better than 2. I have two tangs that don't fight. I think it is more important to get tangs with different body syle and color. I have 2-tangs in my 75-gallon and I don't think I would attempt to keep a third.

I have never read or heard about having 3-tangs being better than 2. I have two tangs that don't fight. I think it is more important to get tangs with different body syle and color. I have 2-tangs in my 75-gallon and I don't think I would attempt to keep a third.

You hit the nail on the head. It is the body shape that tends to cause issues with tangs. A yellow tang will get along fine with a hippo. Put a yellow with a sailfin or purple tang and you could have issues.

Back
Top Bottom