Achilles Tang or Purple Tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking about my next purchase which won't be for probably another 2 months however I've always loved the 2 fish mentioned. The thing that worries me with an achilles is that I already have a powder blue and a regal tang so not sure they will get on too well. The purple tang is probably less likely to be aggressive or be attacked by the others.

Another fish to throw in the equation would be the powder brown but again.... Powder blue might pose a threat.

Current inhabitants are:

Kole tang
Regal tang
Powder blue
4 green chromis
2 blue and yellow chromis
1 royal gramma

Go with the purple tang. It would get along better with your inhabitants. Achilles tangs are so incredibly hard to keep. Im not saying you cant do it, but its just one of those fish with an extremely low survival rate.

Yep the Achilles is very finicky and I would never put one in a tank under 8 ft long. You will love the purple tang though. The coloration on them is beatiful. I have ond myself, they are a little aggressive at first but nothing they dont get over after a few days.

Sounds good. I want relatively peaceful fish from now on due to the fact I have the mean powder blue already.

Also thinking about some good shoaling fish. I like anthias but can be expensive to buy a bunch of them.

You can try chromis, I had a bunch of blue reef chromis which get a bit larger than the regular little chromis. :)

I've got 4 green chromis which are a great size. Biggest I've ever seen.

I used to have some of those blue reefs and loved them but something was picking them off one by one. I think it was the Allan's damsels I had which I've recently gotten rid of.

Back
Top Bottom