Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
So I lucked up on some nice looking old dead live rock. Now I have done the simple bleach soak but the larger piece that I really liked was really dirty. Moss growing on it! So I decided to try a muratic acid bath along with the bleach soak to eat away at it a really clean it up. Ive never used muratic acid before on reef rock but its really simple, just know that it is a very dangerous chemical. Here is what I did.

1. Soak rock in 25:75 bleach and water solution for 3 days.
2. Rinse rock well with water.
3. Let dry overnight.
4. Soak rock in 10/90 muriatic acid and water overnight
5. Rinse rock well.
6. Let dry at least 2 weeks.

It worked great and I just wanted to share my exp. with this. I dont need the rock but may add the large piece in my DT and use the other for frags or coral mounting. I forgot to take before and after pics, but heres after. Only the large piece recieved the acid soak. The small ones just got bleached.


__________________

__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
Update: This rock has now been in my tank for about a week will no ill effects. Im very happy with the precedure I used. Turned out to be some really nice pieces with plenty of clean tiny holes for 'life' to flourish.
__________________

__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
erichm20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 651
Yea that big one is nice and porous. Gotta say id be a little nervous with acid anywhere near the tank but it looks like you took the time to do it right. Good to know.
__________________
erichm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
 
Wy Renegade's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,714
Whats the concentration of your muric acid? I've soaked reef rock in vinegar water before about 30:70 and had the entire rock eaten away in less then 24 hours.
__________________
the Bog

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Whats the concentration of your muric acid? I've soaked reef rock in vinegar water before about 30:70 and had the entire rock eaten away in less then 24 hours.
Not sure on the actual concentration but i got it a walmart i believe. Never heard of vinegar eating rock away but i guess it really depends on what minerals the actual rock is made of and how dense it is. The rock i used was very light for its size though and it just ate away at the outer coating. Id say it soaked for 12 hours give or take.
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
 
Wy Renegade's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,714
Any acidic solution will dissolve calcium carbonate fairly quickly, and most porous rock is mostly calcium carbonate. I'd personally recommend soaking it during the day when you can actually moniter that rate at which it is dissolving.
__________________
the Bog

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Any acidic solution will dissolve calcium carbonate fairly quickly, and most porous rock is mostly calcium carbonate. I'd personally recommend soaking it during the day when you can actually moniter that rate at which it is dissolving.
Makes sense. Monitoring it in a muratic acid soak isnt easy even during the day. At least not with how dirty this rock was. Thick brown foam boiled to the surface of the water and the gas it creates is extremly dangerous to breath or in eyes. I did however shine a super bright led flashlight in it at night to check it out after raking the foam off. I wasnt too worried in this occasion about loosing rock. I found it in a pile outside with mud and moss caked on it. I would normally do a bleach soak on dirty rock but i just wanted to experiment! Lol. Glad i did because it turned out great... just recycling some old dirty reef rock.
__________________

__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« White spots | Dust »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.