Acid Bath for Reef Rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I lucked up on some nice looking old dead live rock. Now I have done the simple bleach soak but the larger piece that I really liked was really dirty. Moss growing on it! So I decided to try a muratic acid bath along with the bleach soak to eat away at it a really clean it up. Ive never used muratic acid before on reef rock but its really simple, just know that it is a very dangerous chemical. Here is what I did.

1. Soak rock in 25:75 bleach and water solution for 3 days.
2. Rinse rock well with water.
3. Let dry overnight.
4. Soak rock in 10/90 muriatic acid and water overnight
5. Rinse rock well.
6. Let dry at least 2 weeks.

It worked great and I just wanted to share my exp. with this. I dont need the rock but may add the large piece in my DT and use the other for frags or coral mounting. I forgot to take before and after pics, but heres after. Only the large piece recieved the acid soak. The small ones just got bleached.
img_2672069_0_57fd09fb2eb6fd5e5e252ca09a1a7f22.jpg

img_2672069_1_c40a7a987afb989dcf6520b99070a686.jpg

img_2672069_2_7d5bd0efedc7cc230a6133b74bcce5ec.jpg

Update: This rock has now been in my tank for about a week will no ill effects. Im very happy with the precedure I used. Turned out to be some really nice pieces with plenty of clean tiny holes for 'life' to flourish.

Yea that big one is nice and porous. Gotta say id be a little nervous with acid anywhere near the tank but it looks like you took the time to do it right. Good to know.

Whats the concentration of your muric acid? I've soaked reef rock in vinegar water before about 30:70 and had the entire rock eaten away in less then 24 hours.

Whats the concentration of your muric acid? I've soaked reef rock in vinegar water before about 30:70 and had the entire rock eaten away in less then 24 hours.

Not sure on the actual concentration but i got it a walmart i believe. Never heard of vinegar eating rock away but i guess it really depends on what minerals the actual rock is made of and how dense it is. The rock i used was very light for its size though and it just ate away at the outer coating. Id say it soaked for 12 hours give or take.

Any acidic solution will dissolve calcium carbonate fairly quickly, and most porous rock is mostly calcium carbonate. I'd personally recommend soaking it during the day when you can actually moniter that rate at which it is dissolving.

Any acidic solution will dissolve calcium carbonate fairly quickly, and most porous rock is mostly calcium carbonate. I'd personally recommend soaking it during the day when you can actually moniter that rate at which it is dissolving.

Makes sense. Monitoring it in a muratic acid soak isnt easy even during the day. At least not with how dirty this rock was. Thick brown foam boiled to the surface of the water and the gas it creates is extremly dangerous to breath or in eyes. I did however shine a super bright led flashlight in it at night to check it out after raking the foam off. I wasnt too worried in this occasion about loosing rock. I found it in a pile outside with mud and moss caked on it. I would normally do a bleach soak on dirty rock but i just wanted to experiment! Lol. Glad i did because it turned out great... just recycling some old dirty reef rock.

Back
Top Bottom