Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ack!

I bought some rather nice looking green star polyps today. The kind that looks like a purple coralline encrusted rock when all the polyps are closed. Anyway, I had been acclimating for about an hour when I got a call and had to rush out. My friend who was here said he'd keep an eye on things so I left. Unfortunately the silly oaf decided he would "help" me out by taking the GSP out of the bag and placing it on the rockwork, only when he went to take it out he lost grip on the rock and it fell into the tank and landed upside down on another rock 8O

Suffice to say when I got home I was not happy. There are a couple areas that can only be described as "squished" purple. I'm sure I'll start to see nercrosis set in shortly. However there are large portions that aren't harmed and look fine.

What should I do?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You should be fine, That stuff is super hardy. By the time tomorrow comes around it should show signs of blooming polyps.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope so.. this isn't exactly how I'd envisioned my first experience with coral would go.

Since my first post I've already got a couple polyps open on one side, but on the bad side they look kinda pale and are getting a shredded appearance - is this necrosis?

Old 06-29-2004, 07:38 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
on the bad side they look kinda pale and are getting a shredded appearance - is this necrosis?
Probabley just exposed poly flesh. It might die back a bit in that area but as long as the coral is kept in a good water flow area and the tanks specs are good, the coral should be just fine. GPS bounce back pretty quickly and as Grndhog said they are super hardy corals.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-29-2004, 09:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the reassurance guys.. I did get quite a few polyps opening fully before lights out, only none of them were green! (#&"$* LFS!) Guess it's just a regular star polyp.

BTW, what's the difference between a star polyp and a xenia?

Old 06-30-2004, 12:02 AM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
BTW, what's the difference between a star polyp and a xenia?
Completely different genus.

Star polyps Genus Pachyclavularia and Genus Xenia. Visual appearance is also quite different.

Xenia courtesy of Madmanmac

GPS coutesy of Andysmithers

Here's a twist for you as well.
Briareum Stechei aka Encrusting Gorgonian

Darn weeds all of them

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-30-2004, 09:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see any difference between those last two!

Thanks for the clarification though, I think this was the site that confused me >> EH?

So there's a Xenia genus and a Xenia species?

Old 06-30-2004, 10:59 AM   #8
steve-s

The easiest way to identify the last two is the Gorgonian will grow in a branching and encrusting fashion and will most times (but not always) have a beige mat instead of the common purple. When they form tubular branch's, the purple will appear on the inside. I can post a pic from my nano when I get back from work if you like.

Quote:
So there's a Xenia genus and a Xenia species?
Yup, even the Family is Xeniidae. According to Eric Borneman there are over 60 types of Xenia sp.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com