Ack!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atari

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought some rather nice looking green star polyps today. The kind that looks like a purple coralline encrusted rock when all the polyps are closed. Anyway, I had been acclimating for about an hour when I got a call and had to rush out. My friend who was here said he'd keep an eye on things so I left. Unfortunately the silly oaf decided he would "help" me out by taking the GSP out of the bag and placing it on the rockwork, only when he went to take it out he lost grip on the rock and it fell into the tank and landed upside down on another rock 8O

Suffice to say when I got home I was not happy. There are a couple areas that can only be described as "squished" purple. I'm sure I'll start to see nercrosis set in shortly. However there are large portions that aren't harmed and look fine.

What should I do?

I hope so.. this isn't exactly how I'd envisioned my first experience with coral would go.

Since my first post I've already got a couple polyps open on one side, but on the bad side they look kinda pale and are getting a shredded appearance - is this necrosis?

Atari said:
on the bad side they look kinda pale and are getting a shredded appearance - is this necrosis?
Probabley just exposed poly flesh. It might die back a bit in that area but as long as the coral is kept in a good water flow area and the tanks specs are good, the coral should be just fine. GPS bounce back pretty quickly and as Grndhog said they are super hardy corals.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the reassurance guys.. I did get quite a few polyps opening fully before lights out, only none of them were green! (#&"$* LFS!) Guess it's just a regular star polyp.

BTW, what's the difference between a star polyp and a xenia?

Atari said:
BTW, what's the difference between a star polyp and a xenia?

Completely different genus.

Star polyps Genus Pachyclavularia and Genus Xenia. Visual appearance is also quite different.

Xenia courtesy of Madmanmac
4113DSCN1044-med.JPG

GPS coutesy of Andysmithers
834Dsc00194_640-med.jpg

Here's a twist for you as well.
Briareum Stechei aka Encrusting Gorgonian
encrustinggorgonian.jpg

Darn weeds all of them :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I don't see any difference between those last two! :lol:

Thanks for the clarification though, I think this was the site that confused me >> EH?

So there's a Xenia genus and a Xenia species?

The easiest way to identify the last two is the Gorgonian will grow in a branching and encrusting fashion and will most times (but not always) have a beige mat instead of the common purple. When they form tubular branch's, the purple will appear on the inside. I can post a pic from my nano when I get back from work if you like.

Atari said:
So there's a Xenia genus and a Xenia species?
Yup, even the Family is Xeniidae. According to Eric Borneman there are over 60 types of Xenia sp.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom