Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

It actually was above 1.019... it was (used to be) about 1.022 or 1.021... I knew where it used to be on my hydrometer but for some reason I thought that 1.019 was the bottom of the safe range... I was wrong I believe 1.020-1.021 was. I will eventually give it another shot and let it go for about two hours or more. Do I need a heater for the bucket? Would like a 50watt or so be sufficient?

Old 09-09-2004, 06:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry, we may have had some confusion here. One of your earlier posts stated that your specific gravity was all the way down at 1.09....which I interpreted at 1.009 but I now think it was obviously just a typo and should have been what you stated above. 1.019 is low for a reef, but most fish could live in this without issue.

Quote:
I will eventually give it another shot and let it go for about two hours or more.
Don't worry much about "x" amount of time. Measure the specific gravity of your tank water (QT tank preferred!) and compare it to the measurement of the LFS specific gravity. When they are close, the fish should do just fine.

I normally place the bag in the QT tank and drip water right into it (removing some and discarding as it fills). This way the temperature matches that of the environment. If this is not possible, a heater would help as long as it is set and monitored to be holding the correct/desired temperature.

One of the other important notes in acclimation is to NOT add LFS water to your tank, this is a common way of introducing parasites and other nasties.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
One of the other important notes in acclimation is to NOT add LFS water to your tank, this is a common way of introducing parasites and other nasties.
Ya this much I did know. Ya I am still getting used to terminology so I screwed the number a bit. I got my 6 stage RO/DI today and I plan on doing a descent water change tonight so maybe tommorow I will try another tang or maybe back to another clown. My lfs just got a whole bunch of Nemos in and they are pretty cheap.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:00 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm sorry about the tang--hope it goes better next time. I bought my first SW fish a couple of weeks ago and just as I was leaving it came to me to ask what they keep their tanks at--1.017. If I had put the fish into my 1.023 QT, I don't know what would have happened. Anyway, it was a simple matter to lower the SG of the QT water; I raised it over the next week or so and now it's back up where I want it. I'm surprised that none of the fish books I have make a big deal out of this issue--I would think it stresses/kills a lot of fish!
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I went back to the fish store today and got another tang... he is actually temp acclimating as we speak and then I will do the drip... I had the sales guy check the salinity and guess what it was... 1.014! No wonder my poor fish died so suddenly... that was a huge dif to my 1.023-1.024. Poor thing. Well this guy is going to take the rest of the night (I will go for atleast 3-4 hours).
Old 09-10-2004, 09:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

WOW!!!!!!!!!! .014 thats low....
Use you hydrometer to check the LFS water also.... It may be off so that way you know how much it is off..... Or on because the LFS may be off with his ......
Good luck and keep us posted......

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well when I got home it tested off the chart on my hydro... mine goes no lower than 1.012 so I don't know who's was right... I suspect mine because when the guy tested his he never rinsed it out and I even saw him test their reef setup seconds before. That may make his more like 1.01 or 1.009. Anyways now the little holding cell (little plastic hang on) with the tang in it was aclimated to 1.14 over the last few hours and the tang seems to be breathing heavily. I stopped the drip for now... How long can the guy stay in this thing? I can't imagine it being safe for him to move up to 1.024 tonight... That is a huge jump.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:46 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Normally you would need to take a few days to make that kind of increase.. anything more than 0.002 in a day is quite stressful.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 01:33 PM   #19
steve-s

Re: Aclimating fish into high salinity...

You actually had the best solution in your first post IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP725
The only thing I could think is to set my QT up to a mild salinity like 1.21 or something so that I can gradually step it up.
With no other fish in the QT, it would be much easier to adjust the salinity in the QT to match the LFS very low SG. The fish can then be introduced without much stress and then the salinity can be raised slowly as suggested. Dropping salinity is not nearly as stressful to the fish as raising it and should be done no more than 0.001-002/day. Be sure you monitor alk/pH with such a low salinity as well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-11-2004, 07:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wanted to do the QT thing but I just added some playsand a week ago and the thing still has a crapload of silt on the top and the water is cloudy... I even rinsed it for 20min beforehand. I don't have a super powerful filter on the QT... just a 20-30g HOB and a 10-15g HOB (it is a 20g tank). I did drip him for hours (atleast 4-5) and I finally added him very late last night. He is doing great right now. He is following my trigger around... they seem to be getting along great. Seriously everywhere the trigger goes the tang goes. Not in an aggressive manner either. He does seem very scared of me when I walk by but atleast that means he is active. I think he will work out this time. I will def do the QT thing next time as I can't imagine every fish taking that much of a climb very well... especially more expensive ones.

Tags
salinity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com