Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #1

Aclimation best way??

Just wanting to hear some of the ways people aclimate their fish to get rdy for their tanks set ups and steps are fine plz thanks!!

Old 03-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Drip

1. Empty new arrivals in a fish safe bucket. ( I like small 3 gallon)

2. Set up drip rig. ( Some air tube with a knot works, valve is better

3. Drip from tank to bucket at a slow rate then increase speed as volume finally is 3-5 times original

4. This should have taken about 30-45 minutes. You can now net them from bucket to tank.

^ The above is MY method of drip acclimation. I'm sure there are other and some may be better but this is MY preferred method ( Posted that so thread would stay on topic, some people love to ridicule others methods of things)

Old 03-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Acclimator Drip Acclimation Kit with Quality Micro Valve 5 ft Airline | eBay

Drip set up I use. You can get a more expensive version with an IV drip counter and roll clamp but I'm thrifty and the above works fine for me
Old 03-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fisher View Post
Drip

1. Empty new arrivals in a fish safe bucket. ( I like small 3 gallon)

2. Set up drip rig. ( Some air tube with a knot works, valve is better

3. Drip from tank to bucket at a slow rate then increase speed as volume finally is 3-5 times original

4. This should have taken about 30-45 minutes. You can now net them from bucket to tank.

^ The above is MY method of drip acclimation. I'm sure there are other and some may be better but this is MY preferred method ( Posted that so thread would stay on topic, some people love to ridicule others methods of things)

I do this but a little slower, I aim for about 1-5 drips per second. And I drip until the params in the bucket match my tank usually takes an 1-2 hours. I also will float the bag for 10-20 minutes before I start the drip and will float in a breeder box for another 20-30 after the drip to temp acclimate again
Old 03-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A better way to acclimate is a drip system. That is basically a bucket, a piece of airline tubing that will reach from your tank down to the bucket on the floor ( best place to put a bucket so it doesn;t spill ), an airstone and an adjustable valve. If your water temp in the bag is close to the temp of your tank, you can skip the float as the water as it drips into the bucket will adjust the water temp to what's in the tank. If there is a big difference in temps, you'll want to float the unopened bag in the tank or sump for approx. 15-20 mins before releasing into the bucket. The next key is to drip water to a speed of approximately 1+/- drip per second. Use the valve to adjust the speed. Adjust the speed based on the sensitivity of the fish you are acclimating. The airstone is next. You want to aerate the water in the bucket but not too much as heavy aeration will alter the PH and possibly too rapidly for the fish. In colder water, you don;t need a lot of air. In warmer water you need more air. Observation will tell you if don;t have enough air going. If the fish is hyperventilating after being in the bucket for a few minutes, you will need to up the airflow just a bit. ( This is a case where more and a lot more is not always better ) If you are buying your fish and they are traveling a distance and are asleep and in cold water when you get them, you need to start everything slow and increase drip and airflow as the water warms and the fish wake up. What you are trying to ultimately achieve is to have the water in the bucket be 99% new water from your tank and 1% water from what the fish came in. The time frame for this changes based on the amount of water you start with. Again, 1 +/- drop per second is a good flow rate to use.

Hope this helps
Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
A better way to acclimate is a drip system. That is basically a bucket, a piece of airline tubing that will reach from your tank down to the bucket on the floor ( best place to put a bucket so it doesn;t spill ), an airstone and an adjustable valve. If your water temp in the bag is close to the temp of your tank, you can skip the float as the water as it drips into the bucket will adjust the water temp to what's in the tank. If there is a big difference in temps, you'll want to float the unopened bag in the tank or sump for approx. 15-20 mins before releasing into the bucket. The next key is to drip water to a speed of approximately 1+/- drip per second. Use the valve to adjust the speed. Adjust the speed based on the sensitivity of the fish you are acclimating. The airstone is next. You want to aerate the water in the bucket but not too much as heavy aeration will alter the PH and possibly too rapidly for the fish. In colder water, you don;t need a lot of air. In warmer water you need more air. Observation will tell you if don;t have enough air going. If the fish is hyperventilating after being in the bucket for a few minutes, you will need to up the airflow just a bit. ( This is a case where more and a lot more is not always better ) If you are buying your fish and they are traveling a distance and are asleep and in cold water when you get them, you need to start everything slow and increase drip and airflow as the water warms and the fish wake up. What you are trying to ultimately achieve is to have the water in the bucket be 99% new water from your tank and 1% water from what the fish came in. The time frame for this changes based on the amount of water you start with. Again, 1 +/- drop per second is a good flow rate to use.

Hope this helps

Hope you had that saved from earlier
Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Hope you had that saved from earlier
Thanks. Yes I did Slightly modified for this thread ( I try to keep templates for these things )
Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post

I do this but a little slower, I aim for about 1-5 drips per second. And I drip until the params in the bucket match my tank usually takes an 1-2 hours. I also will float the bag for 10-20 minutes before I start the drip and will float in a breeder box for another 20-30 after the drip to temp acclimate again
I was just searching on the best way to add fish to my tank. I'm a little confused on this drip method. Do I empty the bag from the pet store into the bucket with the fish THEN start dripping? Then when I'm done what do with the water in the bucket? Dump it back in my tank? I thought I wasn't supposed to let LFS water into my tank but if it's low after this drip process and I'm not due for a water change what do I do? My tank is biocube29. I've just had it for two months so I'm trying to figure everything out for the first time
Old 03-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmJa1106 View Post
I was just searching on the best way to add fish to my tank. I'm a little confused on this drip method. Do I empty the bag from the pet store into the bucket with the fish THEN start dripping? Then when I'm done what do with the water in the bucket? Dump it back in my tank? I thought I wasn't supposed to let LFS water into my tank but if it's low after this drip process and I'm not due for a water change what do I do? My tank is biocube29. I've just had it for two months so I'm trying to figure everything out for the first time

Yes you dump the store water in a bucket but once your done dripping just net the fish and transfer over. I try to time my additions so that it's wc day and I'll make a little extra do I can fill it back up after the drip, but the drip doesn't remove too much water so you could just run it a little low until wc day
Old 03-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most inexpensive drip device is just to use a drip irrigation dripper on the end of some tubbing.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com