Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 186
Aclimation best way??

Just wanting to hear some of the ways people aclimate their fish to get rdy for their tanks set ups and steps are fine plz thanks!!
__________________

__________________
ecancienne1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Mr Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 677
Drip

1. Empty new arrivals in a fish safe bucket. ( I like small 3 gallon)

2. Set up drip rig. ( Some air tube with a knot works, valve is better

3. Drip from tank to bucket at a slow rate then increase speed as volume finally is 3-5 times original

4. This should have taken about 30-45 minutes. You can now net them from bucket to tank.


^ The above is MY method of drip acclimation. I'm sure there are other and some may be better but this is MY preferred method ( Posted that so thread would stay on topic, some people love to ridicule others methods of things)
__________________

__________________
Mr Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Mr Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 677
Acclimator Drip Acclimation Kit with Quality Micro Valve 5 ft Airline | eBay

Drip set up I use. You can get a more expensive version with an IV drip counter and roll clamp but I'm thrifty and the above works fine for me
__________________
Mr Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fisher View Post
Drip

1. Empty new arrivals in a fish safe bucket. ( I like small 3 gallon)

2. Set up drip rig. ( Some air tube with a knot works, valve is better

3. Drip from tank to bucket at a slow rate then increase speed as volume finally is 3-5 times original

4. This should have taken about 30-45 minutes. You can now net them from bucket to tank.


^ The above is MY method of drip acclimation. I'm sure there are other and some may be better but this is MY preferred method ( Posted that so thread would stay on topic, some people love to ridicule others methods of things)

I do this but a little slower, I aim for about 1-5 drips per second. And I drip until the params in the bucket match my tank usually takes an 1-2 hours. I also will float the bag for 10-20 minutes before I start the drip and will float in a breeder box for another 20-30 after the drip to temp acclimate again
__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,959
A better way to acclimate is a drip system. That is basically a bucket, a piece of airline tubing that will reach from your tank down to the bucket on the floor ( best place to put a bucket so it doesn;t spill ), an airstone and an adjustable valve. If your water temp in the bag is close to the temp of your tank, you can skip the float as the water as it drips into the bucket will adjust the water temp to what's in the tank. If there is a big difference in temps, you'll want to float the unopened bag in the tank or sump for approx. 15-20 mins before releasing into the bucket. The next key is to drip water to a speed of approximately 1+/- drip per second. Use the valve to adjust the speed. Adjust the speed based on the sensitivity of the fish you are acclimating. The airstone is next. You want to aerate the water in the bucket but not too much as heavy aeration will alter the PH and possibly too rapidly for the fish. In colder water, you don;t need a lot of air. In warmer water you need more air. Observation will tell you if don;t have enough air going. If the fish is hyperventilating after being in the bucket for a few minutes, you will need to up the airflow just a bit. ( This is a case where more and a lot more is not always better ) If you are buying your fish and they are traveling a distance and are asleep and in cold water when you get them, you need to start everything slow and increase drip and airflow as the water warms and the fish wake up. What you are trying to ultimately achieve is to have the water in the bucket be 99% new water from your tank and 1% water from what the fish came in. The time frame for this changes based on the amount of water you start with. Again, 1 +/- drop per second is a good flow rate to use.

Hope this helps
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
A better way to acclimate is a drip system. That is basically a bucket, a piece of airline tubing that will reach from your tank down to the bucket on the floor ( best place to put a bucket so it doesn;t spill ), an airstone and an adjustable valve. If your water temp in the bag is close to the temp of your tank, you can skip the float as the water as it drips into the bucket will adjust the water temp to what's in the tank. If there is a big difference in temps, you'll want to float the unopened bag in the tank or sump for approx. 15-20 mins before releasing into the bucket. The next key is to drip water to a speed of approximately 1+/- drip per second. Use the valve to adjust the speed. Adjust the speed based on the sensitivity of the fish you are acclimating. The airstone is next. You want to aerate the water in the bucket but not too much as heavy aeration will alter the PH and possibly too rapidly for the fish. In colder water, you don;t need a lot of air. In warmer water you need more air. Observation will tell you if don;t have enough air going. If the fish is hyperventilating after being in the bucket for a few minutes, you will need to up the airflow just a bit. ( This is a case where more and a lot more is not always better ) If you are buying your fish and they are traveling a distance and are asleep and in cold water when you get them, you need to start everything slow and increase drip and airflow as the water warms and the fish wake up. What you are trying to ultimately achieve is to have the water in the bucket be 99% new water from your tank and 1% water from what the fish came in. The time frame for this changes based on the amount of water you start with. Again, 1 +/- drop per second is a good flow rate to use.

Hope this helps

Hope you had that saved from earlier
__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Hope you had that saved from earlier
Thanks. Yes I did Slightly modified for this thread ( I try to keep templates for these things )
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post

I do this but a little slower, I aim for about 1-5 drips per second. And I drip until the params in the bucket match my tank usually takes an 1-2 hours. I also will float the bag for 10-20 minutes before I start the drip and will float in a breeder box for another 20-30 after the drip to temp acclimate again
I was just searching on the best way to add fish to my tank. I'm a little confused on this drip method. Do I empty the bag from the pet store into the bucket with the fish THEN start dripping? Then when I'm done what do with the water in the bucket? Dump it back in my tank? I thought I wasn't supposed to let LFS water into my tank but if it's low after this drip process and I'm not due for a water change what do I do? My tank is biocube29. I've just had it for two months so I'm trying to figure everything out for the first time
__________________
AmJa1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmJa1106 View Post
I was just searching on the best way to add fish to my tank. I'm a little confused on this drip method. Do I empty the bag from the pet store into the bucket with the fish THEN start dripping? Then when I'm done what do with the water in the bucket? Dump it back in my tank? I thought I wasn't supposed to let LFS water into my tank but if it's low after this drip process and I'm not due for a water change what do I do? My tank is biocube29. I've just had it for two months so I'm trying to figure everything out for the first time

Yes you dump the store water in a bucket but once your done dripping just net the fish and transfer over. I try to time my additions so that it's wc day and I'll make a little extra do I can fill it back up after the drip, but the drip doesn't remove too much water so you could just run it a little low until wc day
__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dav3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,233
Most inexpensive drip device is just to use a drip irrigation dripper on the end of some tubbing.
__________________

__________________
Dav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think im on my way to being way overstocked. The Barb Keeper Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 09-23-2012 12:08 PM
Aclimation question missie Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 13 01-27-2012 11:07 PM
light aclimation for corals mdaniel2882 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 08-12-2009 04:49 PM
aclimation and water chemisty question SilviaGTO Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 06-25-2003 10:47 AM
Best way to make salt water jjksutton Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 08-24-2002 11:52 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.