Aclimation best way??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ecancienne1983

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wanting to hear some of the ways people aclimate their fish to get rdy for their tanks set ups and steps are fine plz thanks!!

Drip

1. Empty new arrivals in a fish safe bucket. ( I like small 3 gallon)

2. Set up drip rig. ( Some air tube with a knot works, valve is better

3. Drip from tank to bucket at a slow rate then increase speed as volume finally is 3-5 times original

4. This should have taken about 30-45 minutes. You can now net them from bucket to tank.

^ The above is MY method of drip acclimation. I'm sure there are other and some may be better but this is MY preferred method ( Posted that so thread would stay on topic, some people love to ridicule others methods of things)

Drip

1. Empty new arrivals in a fish safe bucket. ( I like small 3 gallon)

2. Set up drip rig. ( Some air tube with a knot works, valve is better

3. Drip from tank to bucket at a slow rate then increase speed as volume finally is 3-5 times original

4. This should have taken about 30-45 minutes. You can now net them from bucket to tank.

^ The above is MY method of drip acclimation. I'm sure there are other and some may be better but this is MY preferred method ( Posted that so thread would stay on topic, some people love to ridicule others methods of things)

I do this but a little slower, I aim for about 1-5 drips per second. And I drip until the params in the bucket match my tank usually takes an 1-2 hours. I also will float the bag for 10-20 minutes before I start the drip and will float in a breeder box for another 20-30 after the drip to temp acclimate again

A better way to acclimate is a drip system. That is basically a bucket, a piece of airline tubing that will reach from your tank down to the bucket on the floor ( best place to put a bucket so it doesn;t spill ;) ), an airstone and an adjustable valve. If your water temp in the bag is close to the temp of your tank, you can skip the float as the water as it drips into the bucket will adjust the water temp to what's in the tank. If there is a big difference in temps, you'll want to float the unopened bag in the tank or sump for approx. 15-20 mins before releasing into the bucket. The next key is to drip water to a speed of approximately 1+/- drip per second. Use the valve to adjust the speed. Adjust the speed based on the sensitivity of the fish you are acclimating. The airstone is next. You want to aerate the water in the bucket but not too much as heavy aeration will alter the PH and possibly too rapidly for the fish. In colder water, you don;t need a lot of air. In warmer water you need more air. Observation will tell you if don;t have enough air going. If the fish is hyperventilating after being in the bucket for a few minutes, you will need to up the airflow just a bit. ( This is a case where more and a lot more is not always better ;) ) If you are buying your fish and they are traveling a distance and are asleep and in cold water when you get them, you need to start everything slow and increase drip and airflow as the water warms and the fish wake up. What you are trying to ultimately achieve is to have the water in the bucket be 99% new water from your tank and 1% water from what the fish came in. The time frame for this changes based on the amount of water you start with. Again, 1 +/- drop per second is a good flow rate to use.

Hope this helps

A better way to acclimate is a drip system. That is basically a bucket, a piece of airline tubing that will reach from your tank down to the bucket on the floor ( best place to put a bucket so it doesn;t spill ;) ), an airstone and an adjustable valve. If your water temp in the bag is close to the temp of your tank, you can skip the float as the water as it drips into the bucket will adjust the water temp to what's in the tank. If there is a big difference in temps, you'll want to float the unopened bag in the tank or sump for approx. 15-20 mins before releasing into the bucket. The next key is to drip water to a speed of approximately 1+/- drip per second. Use the valve to adjust the speed. Adjust the speed based on the sensitivity of the fish you are acclimating. The airstone is next. You want to aerate the water in the bucket but not too much as heavy aeration will alter the PH and possibly too rapidly for the fish. In colder water, you don;t need a lot of air. In warmer water you need more air. Observation will tell you if don;t have enough air going. If the fish is hyperventilating after being in the bucket for a few minutes, you will need to up the airflow just a bit. ( This is a case where more and a lot more is not always better ;) ) If you are buying your fish and they are traveling a distance and are asleep and in cold water when you get them, you need to start everything slow and increase drip and airflow as the water warms and the fish wake up. What you are trying to ultimately achieve is to have the water in the bucket be 99% new water from your tank and 1% water from what the fish came in. The time frame for this changes based on the amount of water you start with. Again, 1 +/- drop per second is a good flow rate to use.

Hope this helps

Hope you had that saved from earlier :)

I do this but a little slower, I aim for about 1-5 drips per second. And I drip until the params in the bucket match my tank usually takes an 1-2 hours. I also will float the bag for 10-20 minutes before I start the drip and will float in a breeder box for another 20-30 after the drip to temp acclimate again

I was just searching on the best way to add fish to my tank. I'm a little confused on this drip method. Do I empty the bag from the pet store into the bucket with the fish THEN start dripping? Then when I'm done what do with the water in the bucket? Dump it back in my tank? I thought I wasn't supposed to let LFS water into my tank but if it's low after this drip process and I'm not due for a water change what do I do? My tank is biocube29. I've just had it for two months so I'm trying to figure everything out for the first time :)

I was just searching on the best way to add fish to my tank. I'm a little confused on this drip method. Do I empty the bag from the pet store into the bucket with the fish THEN start dripping? Then when I'm done what do with the water in the bucket? Dump it back in my tank? I thought I wasn't supposed to let LFS water into my tank but if it's low after this drip process and I'm not due for a water change what do I do? My tank is biocube29. I've just had it for two months so I'm trying to figure everything out for the first time :)

Yes you dump the store water in a bucket but once your done dripping just net the fish and transfer over. I try to time my additions so that it's wc day and I'll make a little extra do I can fill it back up after the drip, but the drip doesn't remove too much water so you could just run it a little low until wc day

Most inexpensive drip device is just to use a drip irrigation dripper on the end of some tubbing.

Best way I've acclimatised fish is got them home and put them straight in the tank no drip at all always had success more so than the drip method I think this adds more stress to the fish rather than giving them somewhere to hide instantly but just my method I wouldn't say this is the best method but works for me! And I've got a copperband eating frozen out my hand so doing something right :)

Best way I've acclimatised fish is got them home and put them straight in the tank no drip at all always had success more so than the drip method I think this adds more stress to the fish rather than giving them somewhere to hide instantly but just my method I wouldn't say this is the best method but works for me! And I've got a copperband eating frozen out my hand so doing something right :)

Not the best way at all, please no one do this

I said it's what works best for me I haven't lost a single fish in 3 years using this method but I have when I've dripped them over three years ago I have manderins copperband wrasses clowns bennies dwarf angels all added straight to tank and are thriving as are my corals

After the drip I add the new fish after lights out to a well fed tank. This gives the new fish a twilight time in the morning to find its way around and meet its new tank mates. Good luck!

I always drip. I have a small plastic tank I had in college that I use to drip acclimate into. Some old airline tubing that has several loose knots in it so the flow is adjusted to my liking. Has worked out great.

If you're using air line tubing with knots in it, do you just start a siphon by sucking on it to start the drips?

Back
Top Bottom