Acquiring a salt water tank, need to know info.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticAddict

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I will be acquiring a large salt water tank, but need to know how to process to dismantle such a salt tank with a sump. It's 200 gal. with 10 fish, all the accessories, including a sump tank. I have 2 freshwater tanks, but this is my first salt tank. Can anyone offer advice?

Welcome to AA! How far of a move will this be?

Get a few 5 gallon buckets and maybe a couple 20gal totes from home deepo. With lids. Put the fish and a small rock in the buckets. Put rock in big tote. Don't fill the totes with water just a little will do. 20 gal= 150lbs.

Did you get a RO/DI filter in th deal? Hook that bad boy up asap and start making water at home. Refracting hydrometer? Salt? You'll need those to make salt water. Unless you have the local store deliver you a hundred+ gallons.

Bring a few friends.

Get at least one new 44g brute trashcan and a dolly. Make some fresh SW up at least a whole day before the move. If possible, get a second trash can that you may like for future maintenance. I felt good with my 155g having aerated (24/7) SW always at the ready, and another I could use for either emptying the main for water changes or making ro/di water. 2 cans served me well.

Get some new sand also. Dry, arogonite. VERY well rinsed. When you stir up that existing stuff, it'll be so nasty it'll hinder more than help. The bacteria you need is on the rocks.

Last edited:
The bacteria coat surfaces and there is very little in the water column. All great advice above. I would want to have at 90 gallons or more of mixed sw ready at the new location. Is that possible? You would need to make up that much RODI and mix it a day before with a heater and powerhead.
Use BRUTE containers as they are all food grade and won't leach anything into the water.

Back
Top Bottom