Acropora ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigben2057

Aquarium Advice FINatic
HI I have 2 other acros right next to this one and this one doesn't seem to like the area which is high flow about midway in the tank under 4 t5s. Any idea on where to place it more light ? less light? less flow?

Attachments

• _DSC9152.jpg
    _DSC9152.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 91
How deep is midway in your tank? 4 bulbs is on the low end for lighting for sps so I would think it would do better in the top 1/3 of your tank.

How deep is midway in your tank? 4 bulbs is on the low end for lighting for sps so I would think it would do better in the top 1/3 of your tank.

Its 29 and they are ho. Im not sure how far down they aare because im not home but it can be moved up. Any one know the specific kind? Thanks all.

It might be a purple nana? Hard to tell...acros are, imo, just like zoas. It sure is an acro...but the name is purely cosmetic for stores.

Secondly, you will def need to move it up in the light. Acros are a difficult coral and 4 T5HO just won't cut it long term unless it is on the top of the tank. When my power went out mine died in under 12 hours. The purple nana that I have is all that remains and it barely has any meat left on it. I thought it was dead until I looked close.

Sniperhank said:
It might be a purple nana? Hard to tell...acros are, imo, just like zoas. It sure is an acro...but the name is purely cosmetic for stores.

Secondly, you will def need to move it up in the light. Acros are a difficult coral and 4 T5HO just won't cut it long term unless it is on the top of the tank. When my power went out mine died in under 12 hours. The purple nana that I have is all that remains and it barely has any meat left on it. I thought it was dead until I looked close.

Looks like a pink milli that lost some color

bigben2057 said:
The picture sucks but its green im gonna move it up now. The other two are fine fine at the same level so idk.

Does it get any polyp extension my acros never extended polyps untill i raised my alk to 12 now my acros all have 1/4" polyps all day

Does it get any polyp extension my acros never extended polyps untill i raised my alk to 12 now my acros all have 1/4" polyps all day

My other two do sometimes this one will but not as often or as much as the other two so im gonna raise it up a bit.

danbstrong said:

I added calcium reactor to stabalize alk and cal it barely fluctuates if any at all since doin this ive had great pe before that lil to none mostly only at night but now always great pe maybe just get alk so it dont fluctuate at all thats what worked for me good luck with em :)

That is not true at all. There are around 200 or more different species of acropora. They all have different structures, however identifying them positively usually requires a microscopic exam of the dead skeleton.
Some of the more popular acropora species are......
Acropora abrotanoides, Acropora aspera, Acropora caroliniana, Acropora chesterfieldensis, Acropora cytherea, Acropora desalwii, Acropora echinata, Acropora formosa, Acropora granulosa, Acropora humilis, Acropora loisetteae, Acropora loripes, Acropora microphthalma, Acropora millepor, Acropora nana, Acropora nasuta ,Acropora pocilloporina, Acropora prolifera, Acropora sarmentosa, Acropora solitaryensis ,Acropora suharsonoi, Acropora tenuis, Acropora tortuosa, Acropora valida, Acropora yongei...to name a few. ;)

With that being said, it's virtually impossible to give an ID of your frag while it's so small and not having any form yet.

My point is a "bleeding heart" zoa, or a "watermelon" zoa, or a "mary jane" zoa, etc, etc are all the same thing just with different colors. The different acros have different structure, corallites, polyp density, etc. The are truely different from each other in more than just color. :)

My point is a "bleeding heart" zoa, or a "watermelon" zoa, or a "mary jane" zoa, etc, etc are all the same thing just with different colors. The different acros have different structure, corallites, polyp density, etc. The are truely different from each other in more than just color. :)

I thought so one of mine has white polyps that go in and out and the other has ones that just open.

Back
Top Bottom