Acrylic polishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acid_burn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got my new 120gal. acrylic aquarium and i'm wondering if I can use auto polish(not rubbing compound) to get rid of the fine scratches. The polish is Meguiars Gold Class, it safe for clear coats on cars. I would say that acrylic is about as delicate as a clear coat as far as scratching goes? Plus the water would bead off the side of the tank when dripped and there would be less clean up!

Thanks,
Rich

i think i would be very careful using something like that. If you wanted to experiment, I would try using it on a very small section on the back of the tank, near the bottom (least likely place to be noticed if it doesn't work out well.)

I would think acrylic isn't at all like an auto clear coat. I am sure most car clear coats are enamel which is much harder than acrylic. Just as billy Z said test it well first. But I honestly don't see much of a problem with it as long as you could buff it out well and apply with a very soft clean cloth. Try it on a test piece or section and let us know...

I have read where people use turtle wax on acrylic but I have never tried it myself.

Kaye

I saw something at lfs that was scratch repair for accrilic tanks. It was near where they has algae scrapers (go figure)

I tried it out and it works great!

sumphead, i'm not trying to sound like a smarta** but there are acrylic auto paints out there. But I dont know if there used alot.

Thanks,
Rich

Oh! No offense taken at all. It was merely a guess on my part anyway. I play with acrylic a lot and I know if my truck scratches as easily as acryic I'd be ticked. I actually thought it was a fairly good idea and at least worth a shot. Keep us posted.

Well I used the sponge applicator that came with the polish, and buffed lightly with a "space aged" fiber towel that is not supposed to scratch and removes the polish easily. The polish works great, i'm just using it to remove the hazy swirl marks that come from cleaning the outside surface after time.

I am also a car guy and know a thing or two about keeping my Mustang shining and scratch free!

Thanks,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom