Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Acrylic Tank Cracks from vibration?

Has anyone had cracks form on the face of an acrylic tank from heavy vibration or earthquakes? I have a 100 gallon acrylic tank 60x18x22 that formed hundreds of horizontal cracks on the front face during 2 weeks of construction near by. The sewer in the street was replaced less than 30 feet away 15 feet deep they dug a hole and filled it with gravel packing it with a hydraulic impactor on a large escavator. Pictures fell off walls and items fell from tables and shelves and lights swung. The tank sloshed for 2 weeks off and on for hours at a time and cracks up to 1" long formed in vertical rows and patches (see attached pictures). The construction company admits to the heavy vibration, but tells me the cracks that formed in my tank are a coincidence and not caused by the vibration and shaking they do admit to. They told me this is crazing caused by having a 3/8 and not 1/2 inch thick tank? Has anyone ever had damage caused to a tank from earthquake like vibrations?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracked tank.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	26554   Click image for larger version

Name:	B4 CRACKS (1).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	26555  

Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

Seems a little scary to me that you still have water in that tank

Old 12-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the cracks did not appear until they began ground pounding, then it is definitely their fault. It doesn't matter what the thickness was. If the vibrations they admit to caused your tank to crack, I would definitely contact them again and ask them to replace it. If they do not, then there is always small claims court and home owners insurance.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

hohoho....scary2 with that crack and your tacnk thickness....
Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seems to me you have a legitimate claim on the contractor's bond - too coincidental for those to show up in what appears to be a fairly well established tank. If they were doing work on the sewer, I'd contact the owner of the project (the City or Water District?) and fill them on the problem. Perhaps going through them instead of the contractor may help to get some action rather than blanket denial.

Have you contacted a LFS that also does tank work/commercial installations and maintenance, and see what their opinion is? Seems like that would be a good "unbiased" opinion to present to the contractor and project owner. Saltwater City in Bellevue and Barrier Reef Aquariums in Renton come to mind.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks all for your replies. I contacted the city and was referred to the contractor's claims manager who now stated they will pay for 1/2 the replacement cost but still thinks it was not caused by them? I gave him the contact information for the LFS who stated this damage is caused by the sloshing of the water causing stress cracks at the weakest point of the tank and is not crazing from age that is seen at the joints, bends, and tops. He replied there is nothing on the web stating damage to acrylic tanks can be caused by vibration. He stated he would pay to replace it if I had more information showing this could be caused by vibration. This is why I was asking for your help as the subject matter expects on this forum. Has anyone herd of this kind of damage.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

maybe u could get some acrylic manufacturer/expertise advice...
Old 12-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

100g reef... PM sent to you with contact info of a local acrylic tank fabricator. I'm thinking he can give you more technical info that you can present to the claims manager. I've never heard of damage like you're seeing, but water sloshing in the tank for a couple days isn't something that happens very often!
Old 12-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Considering they were using a hydraulic impactor, it doesn't surprise me regardless of how well made the tank is. You may have luck contacting the manufacturer, but I don't think this would qualify as poor manufacturing due to outside interference of integrity.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, crack, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com