Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #11

POTM Champion
ok but my regular blue LEDs of my moonlight make my corals look like they're glow in the dark.

and these LEDs are just blue, not actinic or anything special

360º is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
the term "fluoresce" means the emission of light by a substance that has absorbed light or other electromagnetic radiation of a different wavelength.
it's just what YOU see, not what the corals see. it's all about looks. enough PAR and it doesn't matter if the corals fluoresce, they still do very well.the trouble is, they don't appear bright and colorful.
Totally agree. Fluorescing means nothing as far as the coral or coral health is concerned. Like 360 mentioned in the last post, even low wattage LEDs (by themselves) will give the corals a little pop.

many folks including myself have used metal halide lamps with no actinic supplement, and corals grow fine.
Not arguing with that either. Corals grow fine without actinic supplementation. But would they grow better with it? Obviously no one can tell because you can't have both conditions occur at the same time to do a valid test. And I think that's where the debate always ends up.

360... as far as your LEDs making corals pop - yeah, my moonlights do that also. And I run them 24/7. And when I have my normal lights on, you can't see any of the fluorescence that you see when it's just the LEDs that are on. It's the spectrum of the light we're dealing with, and the LEDs are obviously in that spectrum. But those little LEDs just get overpowered when you have the normal lights on.

Go ahead and put a blue filter on your daylight bulb. But I'm pretty sure you're not going to be happy with the results. Neither will your corals because you'll be blocking an awful lot of light.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #13

POTM Champion
got another fixture. 36" with 2 actinics.

heres a photo with just the actinics on

360º is offline   Reply With Quote

actinic, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com