actinic lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZivioRR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i heard that actinic lights dont count as wpg, is it true? i have a 9w 10k and a 9w actinic. do i have 18w for my corals?

first, how big is the tank? if its much more than 4 gallons, that light woulndnt be enough for corals. and i'd also like to know about the actinics

33g FOWLR tank in the Info. Also, I see you have a lionfish.

You do not have enuf light for coral, even with the actinic. Further, Lionfish and coral isn;t a good mix either I believe. I'd shott for something that gives you at least 3 watts per gallon for coral - then , there's stiil that lionfish....

If oyu are lookign at a 33gallon tank I agree with the others you are nowhere near the lighting level that you need. For really low light corals like mushrooms 3wpg is fine. For most anyhting else you need 5wpg or more.

I would say that Attnic does count as overall wattage so a tank that has (for example) 1 bulb that is a 65W 10K and another bulb that is a 65W attnic then you have a total of 130W between those two lights.

sorry guys, my bad. forgot to update my info, the light is for a 6g eclipse. the light fixture and bulbs are from coralife. i just bought a umbrella leather coral will it be ok?

did you buy the coralife mini compact thing? if you did, its the ten what right? i think you should go and the the 20 watt one if thats what it is.

3 wpg- I tould think that for a mushroom that would work. But you would need 4-5 for most anything else and higher for light intensive type corals. I will let the others chime in here.

Maybe overkill for a 6g tank, but if you really want to understand more about options - and future tanks :wink: and coral, Eric Borneman's Corals book is my favorite. There are mushrooms, maybe some leathers, and other stuff you can maybe place higher in the tank that would work.

What are you saying is overkill for a 6g tank?? I am confused by your comment because you are not being clear and I think you are responding to 2 different posts in the same sentence.

austinsdad can you restate that and break it down a little more?

Sorry. I thought the $30 book might be overkill for a small tank. Wasn't speaking of light. But IMO, it'd be worth it anyway if you enjoy coral. Besides when you get that huge tank, you'll know a lot more anyway.

I have seen beautiful nanos w/plenty of coral. Do the shrooms, small leathers, ricordias etc.

I agree with austins dad. Just do shrooms and other small corals. Liveaquaria.com offers a few nano packs on corals that are a good deal and have good corals for a nano.

Back
Top Bottom