Actinics and algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish-guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
About a month ago I changed my bulb layout in my fixtures. I used to have 2 power glo and 2 actinics. I changed them to 3 actinics and one purple/white bulb. I like the look of it but I notice an increase in algae. Especially hair algae and some green on my sand. My phosphates an nitrates seem fine but could it be the lights?

I doubt the lights are causing in increase in algae since generally, actinics put out less PAR than a "white" bulb. I would think it's a water quality issue.

I use rodi water, bi-weekly water changes, parameters seem fine and I use a good skimmer. Don't get it.

You know what they say- your parameters could be fine (especially phosphates) during testing because the algae is using it all up. I would think it's something other than the lights. Did you change up food in the last couple months?

I've been feeding more frozen foods to my eel. But only feed every 2 or 3 days. I Feed him with feeding sticks so what he doesn't eat comes right back out. No leftover foods.

Are you rinsing the frozen food? The ice water they are frozen in can be full of nasty junk you don't want in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom