Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ericosuave
activated carbon

how does this stuff work? and will it work to clear up some tiny particles floating all around in my tank?

how do i actually add the activated carbon to my tank? i have a 40 gal hex oceanic with a prizm skimmer.

Old 07-25-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Activated carbon is a chemical filter, it will not remove particulate matter from your tank. To get rid of the tiny particles you need to run some kind of floss filter. This can be a HOB power filter, a canister filter, or even a cartridge that fits onto a powerhead. If you really want to run GAC, the Prizm skimmer has a filtermedia basket that can be purchased to hold the filter media of your choice. Kind of think of it, I've never tried it, but if you get the filter basket you may be able to run some filter floss in that to remove particles. Worth a shot.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

Old 07-25-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use carbon in my HOB.....I have a 35 gallon wet/dry and the HOB I use just for the carbon. I got floss on the bottom and carbon in a bag on top of it. Works good for me so far.

Mike
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 04:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

awesome thanks alot jack.. i will give it a try and keep everyone updated.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

got another question.. im about to purchase the upgrade kit for the prizm skimmer which includes the surface skimmer and the filtermedia basket. now my question is.. what kind of media should i put in the basket for clearer particle free water? should i get some floss and put the media in one of those little mesh baggies than stick it in the basket? (i would have to buy one of those too).. please let me know..

TIA.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericosuave
got another question.. im about to purchase the upgrade kit for the prizm skimmer which includes the surface skimmer and the filtermedia basket. now my question is.. what kind of media should i put in the basket for clearer particle free water? should i get some floss and put the media in one of those little mesh baggies than stick it in the basket? (i would have to buy one of those too).. please let me know..

TIA.
I have that skimmer with attachments, I was told to get a good quality GAC for the media basket, opinion varies as to how much & how often you should change it, I decided on the following "average" of what I could find:

1 heaped tablespoon for each 10gal in a reef tank
2 heaped tablespoon for each 10gal in a fowlr tank

I will pull the media out on the end of month water change (leaving it in on the fortnight one) & leave it out for the first week after, so the GAC will be in for 3 weeks at a time.

This is just me though.......

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's probably not a good idea to put something like floss in there because as it clogs up it will start to put stress on the pump. That's the only reason I didn't use carbon in mine while I had it. Then again my pump still blew up.. go figure lol.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, just get the Deluxe upgrade for it, and use a good brand of GAC. That basket is only designed to hold GAC type media.

I'll say this much too: when I added carbon to my setup, it seemed to help the prizm skim off the cloudiness from poorly rinsed argonite.
maybe it's coincidence, maybe not.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
For GAC grab a measuring cup that reads ounces, or grab a shot glass, and use 1/2 fl. oz per 5 gallons for a tank with a skimmer, use 1 fl. oz per 5 gallons if you don't have a skimmer. My suggestion once you figure out how much to keep in your tank would be to keep two separate vessels that store the GAC and put 50% of you total amount in each. Then start a rotation on changing it. For example, I run 13 fl. oz of GAC, changed weekly. So I have two media bags, each with 6.5 oz in them. The first bag goes in on sunday with my water change, the second is added on Wednesday. On the next sunday that bag is emptied and replaced with a new 6.5 ounces, then the same with the other on wednesday, so on and so forth. I have found this to be a great way of using carbon. HTH.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I only run carbon for one week per month. I was told that it would "strip" some of the trace elements from the water. Don't know for sure, there is conflicting information on the net about this.

Mike

5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activated carbon, carbon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com