Add live sand to existing system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLN

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have set up a two tank refugium system below the main 55 gallon reef tank. If I put the commercially available bags of live sand in the refugium, will it cause a cycle of the system chemistry?

If so, I will need to cycle it in a separate tank before putting it in the main system, I guess.

LS is used to quicken the cycle... You can add it to the system right away and should not see any increase in cycling.. IMO the LS in bags sold in LFS, is over rated...I would buy a big bag of Carribsea aragonite or Old Castle sand and be done with it.. It won't take long for new sand to become live...

KLN said:
If I put the commercially available bags of live sand in the refugium...

Those are absolutly a rip off and waste of money. There is very little live about it, except maybe some bacteria. There was a large discussion about these about a year ago. How can the organisms survive in a plastic bag with no oxygen? If the bags are "breathable as the claim exists, why is there water still in the bags. It's a bunch of garbage.

I understand, and won't get any more. But I have a bag now, and the question remains, if I add it to a well established reef tank system, will it cause a spike in ammonia and nitrites (which would be a disaster)?

Back
Top Bottom