Add More flow with second pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
225 gallon tank with Little Giant pump 1140 gph at head height. I have 2 maxijet 1200 and a powerweep 228. Total is 2000. Was thinking about adding one more return pump so each return will be 1140 gph and then the 3 powerheads.

Is it worth it. I seem to have a couple of dead spots . I was also thinking of adding a seaswirl but my tank does not have a lip since it is acrylic.

Thanks in advance for your input. I could add more powerheads but the thought of a second pump (as backup) lets flow continue to one return in case of failure.

Thanks, Can I run a tee in the intake part and hook them both up to one bulkhead? I want to keep my last bulkhead open for a refugium.

dont think one bulk head can handle both pumps ! better to have the bulkheads run thru the fuge then to a sump to pump back to the tank !

Ok thanks, I am not really sure how a fuge is setup. I just know that my sump (lifereef) has a 2nd bulkhead to hook one up later. Do you have a good reference for how a refugium is set up?

it basically just another tank thats free of predators ! i have mine set up that my returns run into my sump and another pump pumps water into the fuge !

yea ! right now i have the main pumps pump to the 125 then back to the sump! then on the other side of the wall i have 2 55 gallon tanks that both dump back into the sump which is on the other side of the wall as well :)

Ok cool thanks, so the refugium gets fed from the sump and then the pump returns it. Wow I will have 4 pumps total + powerheads. Thanks for all the help.

Just ordered the second pump.

ya can do it anyway ya like ! ya can go from the main to the fuge then to the sump !

the right way is to have the fuge dump back to the tank with out going thru a pump but thats kinda hard to do unless ya have alot of room !

Yeah and then the fuge would have to be above the tank. My sump is below so I was going to run the sump to the fuge and then return it to the main tank. Thanks again.

Toby

Back
Top Bottom