Add Substrate to established tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
I`d like to replenish some substrate that has been lost due to siphoning stuff out for the last couple of years.

Is there a preffered process?

Can I just scatter a cup or two of new sand every few days until I think it`s enough?

thanks again...........

I usually pull some of my sand out every 4-5 months and replace it. Do not use LIVE SAND to replace what you remove. You need to use dry "dead" sand. Also just so you know you will probably see a diatom bloom on the new sand as it cycles. When I do this I change out 10+ pounds at a time.

Hi,
thanks for your replies. Why do you take out the old sand?

I usually pull some of my sand out every 4-5 months and replace it. Do not use LIVE SAND to replace what you remove. You need to use dry "dead" sand. Also just so you know you will probably see a diatom bloom on the new sand as it cycles. When I do this I change out 10+ pounds at a time.

Your biggest challenge is going to be adding the sand where you want it without creating a sandstorm in the process. The best method I have used is to get an apropriate sized PVC pipe (1 inch diameter, length depending) and pour the sand into one end of the PVC (sticking out of the water) and using the other end to direct the sand where you want it.

I have been slowly replacing sand in my tank, switching to a finer grain of sand.

When I change out or add sand to my tank I put the new sand (after it's been rinsed in fresh water) into a bucket and put tank water into the bucket, just enough to cover the sand and scoup it out with a plastic cup. I take the cup and slowly lower it into the tank and pour the sand in the areas that I want. This has worked very well for me and it doesn't cause a sand storm mainly because I do it very slowly.

The best method I have used is to get an apropriate sized PVC pipe (1 inch diameter, length depending) and pour the sand into one end of the PVC (sticking out of the water) and using the other end to direct the sand where you want it.

This is the best way I have found also.

I always rinse and then rinse and then rinse again any new sand that I put in my tank. It's just a good thing to do. There is going to be dust and things in the sand and you want to get as much of that out as you can.

Very good point!

I do almost the same thing as Ziggy. I rinse, rinse, rinse and then put it in a tupperware bowl and lower it into the tank, letting the tank water fill it up and then slowly lower it and pour it out. If you have limited space, try using a smaller container or use the PVC method (I tried the PVC but it was kinda tough with wet sand).

I tried the PVC too and ended up cleaning sand up off the floor. Try both methods and use what works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom