added a ph...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just added a maxi jet 1200 to my 60 gal, and all my coral look like they are getting blown around. all my coral were out and seemed happy, but I didn't think I had enough flow through my tank because of ditritus and junk covering my rocks and sand. will the coral get used to this extra flow in some time and stat to come out more? or should i lower the flow some?

What types of coral is this that is getting "blown around".

Is this the only PH in this tank? If so, it may, actually, not be enough.

Is the PH aiming right at any of the corals. Most corals dislike direct laminar flow over them try aiming the the powerheads so they bounce off of the glass or collide with flow from another PH. And as biggen may be suggesting, some corals prefer low flow, what corals are we talking about?

Regardless of whether or not you have enough flow, one way to get all the detritus off your sand is to stir it up occassionally and let your mechanical filtration pick it up out of the water column. I don't have any PHs in my tank, and that's how I deal with the issue.

(I know, I know, you're going to say I don't have enough flow, but I have about 12X the tank volume in the return pump from my sump.)

i supposedly have about 10x from return pump, but i dont think i get that much. i had the ph just below the water line pointing up so there was no direct flow, but all the corals are LPS, xenia, and shrooms, so all of the fleshy parts were kind of flying around, and the xenia was some what out of control. and moved the ph around putting it lower in the tank and bouncing off the front of the tank, so its not as bad anymore, i just hate the way it looks in there, takes so much away from the tank imo.

fyi- I'm using 3xMJ1200's, 1xAquaclear 201 and the return from my Fluval 404. At first the softies were disturbed but with some trial and error I moved the PHs and corals into good spots. They're doing great now. My tank is a 55g btw.

i wish i could add a closed, but that would require drilling acrylic and i dont want to risk that.

Back
Top Bottom