Added Feather Caulerpa - Skimmer Goes Nuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any reason why my skimmer would fill the collection cup in a matter of hours following adding a small amount of feather caulerpa to the main tank? I noticed that some of the "feathers" were opaque. I don't know if that's a bad thing. I'm not sure what "going sexual" actually looks like, but I'm wondering if something happened and part of it went sexual, causing my skimmer to wig out.

I know - it's kind of vague but any help would be....well....helpful.

- Skins

when the leaves go opaque, that is a sign of it going getting ready to go sexual. The spawning event itself will turn the water milky looking.

So, I removed the caulerpa that looked opaque. I have only a few tiny strands in there now. The water DOES look a little "milky". It just looks cloudier than normal and my skimmer continues to go NUTS. It's taking out light green tea looking skimmate and I have to reduce it way down so it doesn't overflow.

Could these events be related? Just wondering if some of this caulerpa could have gone sexual before I removed it. Would this be how my skimmer would react? I just did a water change before this so I don't have any water on hand. I'm going to try to make some up now and do a change tomorrow. I hope everything will remain stable. I have about 140 gallons of water in this system so I'm hoping if it is a sexual event, it isn't too drastic.

Yes. I agree with Hara. The plants likely had a sexual event where they released a lot of gametes into the water, which is the cloudiness you see and is what you skimmer is trying to pull out. A big water change would help a lot. They can starve oxygen out of your water too, so I would mix water for atleast an hour then do your water change. There shouldn't be any issues with the water so long as it's well mixed/aerated and the temperature is correct.

I'm making up more water now. I'm just not sure how, if some of this DID go sexual, this will affect my tank in the short term. I probably won't be able to do a WC until tomorrow. Is this considered an emergency? Are there specific parameters I should check?

Back
Top Bottom