Adding a red coris wrasse !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoM0

Aquarium Advice Regular
My lfs and petco said the red coris would work in my 40 gallon ! They said all the 40 gallon would do is stunt its growth ..... I'm concerned about him and my dottyback going at it but hey what's your opininions

My red coris is in a 90g, they get pretty large when they get to adulthood.

My coris is very shy but has never had any issues with any of the other fish and I have some aggressive ones. lol

They bury themselves in the sand if you didnt know so dont get too alarmed if he goes MIA for a few days. :)

Got 12 wrasses, six are canary wrasses (coris). They get along fine with everyone. The dominate male got to about 4" while the females stayed at about 2-3" A 40 would be on the small side, but probably doable.

Red coris wrasses ( Coris gaimard) can get quite large ( approx 18" ) so a 40 gal tank will hardly suffice in the future. As a whole, they are cool fish to have and get beautiful as adults but they need a sandy bottom to hide in, a varied meat diet and tend to be parasite pickers as juveniles so they can be annoying to larger fish then themselves. As they get bigger, they are known to move rocks and coral pieces so make sure your "decor is secure" :D. If you are prepared to either upgrade your tank for him or give him up when he gets larger, then I say go for it. (y)

BTW, my LFS had a 15" one ( a.k.a. "the submarine") in a 300? and it was tremendous. A true site to behold :D

The Napoleon wrasse (Scientific name: Cheilinus undulatus) likes hard boiled eggs for a snack. Needs a pretty big tank. ;-)

Attachments

• image-813828355.jpg
    image-813828355.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 106
The main difference between Juv. Gaimards and Formosas is the Formosa has a black dot on the dorsal fin that is not there on the gaimard. Make sure you know which Coris wrasse you are getting ;)

I have the same coris as the last post who is small but in adult form with adult colors when I put him in he was slightly stressed but happy he's bigger than the rest of the fish I have so hopefully he'll be fine

It does happen so if you don;t see him within a week, you can assume he is no longer with us. If you don't see him in a couple of days, you can try to dig him up using a small stick to run through the sand. Keep this in mind, sometimes the fish get their internal clocks backwards so they are up at night and hidden during the day. If you have to dig him up, make sure you feed him when you see him so he has a reason to be up that time of day. That helps reset the clock.
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom