Adding a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking of adding a sump to the very small space under my tank .
Ideally how should I design and build it ?
How many compartments ?

I'm thinking of adding a sump to the very small space under my tank . Ideally how should I design and build it ? How many compartments ?

image-2563323046.jpg

I can hide it in the center and make it taller then long .
Will that work ?

Doing that while the tank is on top kinda scares me .
I don't want to cut anything

My skimmer is a hob I want to get rid of the canister filter ,
I already have almost 2 lbs/ gallon of rock only want it for a little more volume , and maybe somewhere for pods .

Well just getting back from a trip to the LFS
I inquired about changing my set up from canister to a sump and the answer I got was I it's not broken don't fix it .
I don't get nitrates above 10 ppm but for the extra volume and for pods I thought it would be a good idea .
A few questions :
1) besides routine maintenance what are the pros and cons of a canister compared to a sump .
2) what should I have inside the canister to filter and polish but not to trap nitrates ?
I have ceramic hollow hollow pieces , about 2" of floss and a dense blue foam that is 2" thick .
I'll take pictures when I get home ,
There is a 1/2" can under the ceramic and the bottom of the canister and again between the floss and the ceramic.
Any suggestions ?

image-3034826714.jpg

Idea #2
Is it a good idea to build or buy a in tank refuge and hide it behind rock work?
I'm hoping this will work instead of fighting with the lack of space under the tank .
Any suggestions ?
What are your thoughts ?

Thanks again

If you can fit that thing in the tank and it doesn't look ugly, I don't see a problem with it, however, a sump under the stand or perhaps in the room behind the tank (this would require you to put a doorknob sized hole in the wall) would increase water volume as well as house a refugium.
What are the exact inside dimensions of the stand? Also measure the door, so we know what can fit through it.
Carbon would "polish" the water, and you could put that in the canister. Anything you put in there will trap detritus and raise nitrates eventually...you just have to rinse it out often. I would rinse everything in your old tank water after each water change.

I know this post is fairly old but I am reviewing any topics with canister filters before starting up another thread. Did you change your set up?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom