Adding a sump? Possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Benamayer said:
Try not to underestimate costs. You need to factor in plumbing, a return pump, silicone, plexi for the baffles, filter sock/holder if you do use that, etc... I'm not trying to scare you but I thought I was going to be able to build mine a lot cheaper than it ended up being lol

Wow wicked sorry I didn't see you listed all that stuff already! It's Friday thankfully...

It doesn't need to cost much. You don't have to use a big pump. The tank isn't expensive from All Glass. Acrylic for the skimmer section can be bought and cut from Lowes. You could actually put the return right in the refugium without a divider. That's kind of how I had it in both of my 15 sumps. Actually, I didn't use any dividers because I ran air driven skimmers.

needmorecowbell said:
A 15 high is probably going to cost more than 30$ because it isn't common, they would have to special order one in for you. DIY is definitely the way to go if your getting the 15 high though. A good thing with that tank size is that water level will be higher. But that also can be a bad thing. If you can, build the sump around the skimmer, so everything will fit once you buy it.

True. How would i build one? It needs to be safe and easy...i cant have water all over the floor lol.

CorallineAlgae said:
It doesn't need to cost much. You don't have to use a big pump. The tank isn't expensive from All Glass. Acrylic for the skimmer section can be bought and cut from Lowes. You could actually put the return right in the refugium without a divider. That's kind of how I had it in both of my 15 sumps. Actually, I didn't use any dividers because I ran air driven skimmers.

Sounds like it'd be easy!

This brings me to my next question, which skimmer guys?? 66 gallon tank, and i was thinking about a reef octopus? Needs to be 150$ about...

True. How would i build one? It needs to be safe and easy...i cant have water all over the floor lol.

Sounds like it'd be easy!

This brings me to my next question, which skimmer guys?? 66 gallon tank, and i was thinking about a reef octopus? Needs to be 150$ about...

Mine has never overflowed, basically, you just make three sections, where the water goes in, fuge, and comes out. I put my heater and skimmer where it comes in, fuge in the middle, then output has my pump on a ball valve and my thermometer, along with ato. Put in bubble traps to avoid micro bubbles from the skimmer.

Reef octopus is great, and there's a skimmer around the price your looking for. Just go on brs and check it out, I forget what it's called sorry :/

needmorecowbell said:
Mine has never overflowed, basically, you just make three sections, where the water goes in, fuge, and comes out. I put my heater and skimmer where it comes in, fuge in the middle, then output has my pump on a ball valve and my thermometer, along with ato. Put in bubble traps to avoid micro bubbles from the skimmer.

Reef octopus is great, and there's a skimmer around the price your looking for. Just go on brs and check it out, I forget what it's called sorry :/

Hey thanks adam! Ive watched some sump videos and with you saying that it all makes sense.

I looked on BRS and this looks like the best one for my budget...
"Reef Octopus 4" Pinwheel Skimmer OCT-NWB110
Dimensions: 10" x 6.75" x 19.75"
Manufacturer rates skimmer for tanks up to 100 gallons
BRS Recommends this skimmer for tanks up to 75 gallons
Powered by 1 OTP 1000 pump at 250 GPH
High performance venturi air injection system
Modified cone neck design designed for easy transition of micro bubbles into cup
Precision controlled gate valve
In sump only
1 year warranty on skimmer and pump
Metric plumbing parts."

Problem is...10 inches long!!? If i only am able to but in a 16" sump that takes up more than half! I would have a fuge the size of a pico;( haha any skimmers that arent supa dupa fat?

Use the built in one in the sump? I wanted to just keep that one in the back and get an reef octopus for the sump..and smaller ones i could get?

Did you ever consider simply upgrading the skimmer that is in the back, and running a 2 chamber sump, an "in"/fuge, and a smaller chamber for return pump?

Benamayer said:
Did you ever consider simply upgrading the skimmer that is in the back, and running a 2 chamber sump, an "in"/fuge, and a smaller chamber for return pump?

Yes i did, but the problem is i wouldnt be able to keep/grow anything in the fuge because a light couldnt fit. Plus, the skimmer section is very weird and not many would fit, and i want a good one.

I would be down for that... Sounds like a good light, thanks for the suggestion! I would love to get this sump going and every day i want to try it even more, but im not so sure that it would be worth it with our limited space... Our nitrates are only 5 so its not necessary

What about just growing Xenia in the show tank to knock down that last bit of nitrate? People often talk about using them in sumps instead of cheato but they work just as well in the display tank. I always grew them in my non-sump reefs just for that and it's always brought down my nitrates to zero. They do grow fast but you just cut the top off once every month or two just like plants. May be worth a shot. The plain tan ones worked best in my experience.

We do have some xenia! Haha two types actually :p thanks for the suggetions, its growing quick!

Hi look forward to seeing how this progress's(y) with photo's obviously:lol: You could use a sump just to hide all the heaters,skimmers etc? Or as a my mate suggested up me local fish shop,was to fill it with small pieces of living rock - to aid filtration?

Ok, so i mismeasured the space a bit. It is 16x20x27. Really weird. So not even a 10 gallon tank will fit 100%. It juts out an inch or so....im thinking i will use a tub of some sort. Or, maybe have an external skimmer?

I use this skimmer:

Bubble Magus BM-NAC3+ Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

It fits really well in a small space, and works great for a taller sump, because the pump is under the cone. It has a really tight footprint. 6.8"X4.3".

Might it be possible to cut out that center divider so you have more room, and put the chiller on the outside of the stand? Or is that center divider load bearing? If it is, you might be able to brace it easy enough with a couple of 2x4s or something and still have room to get a 20L in there. Anything smaller than a 20long is going to make it really hard to get much in the way of a fuge, skimmer, and return pump in it.

EDIT: 10,000th post FTW!

fort384 said:
I use this skimmer:

Bubble Magus BM-NAC3+ Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

It fits really well in a small space, and works great for a taller sump, because the pump is under the cone. It has a really tight footprint. 6.8"X4.3".

Might it be possible to cut out that center divider so you have more room, and put the chiller on the outside of the stand? Or is that center divider load bearing? If it is, you might be able to brace it easy enough with a couple of 2x4s or something and still have room to get a 20L in there. Anything smaller than a 20long is going to make it really hard to get much in the way of a fuge, skimmer, and return pump in it.

EDIT: 10,000th post FTW!

Wow that is the skimmer i'll get, it is perfect for what im doing here.

Yes it is, and im not sure if i can mess with it. My parents are opposed to it...:( But thats ok. I've been looking into tubs and if i find the right one i could have as much as a 15 gallon sump! Not bad..but it has to fit perfect.

I am also talking to a local reefer who might have a 9-12 g sump for me. That would work too.

Wow...i feel honored it was on my thread! Lol congrats.

I have *heard* that is is actually not all that hard to make your own tank out of acrylic... never tried it though. I could see where that would get scary. But it would allow you to build whatever size you can.

Other option is to do 2 separate tanks - 1 for a fuge and the other for a sump. Maybe you could get the sump in the top left, or top right? It would take a little bit of extra plumbing, but I know of a few folks who run setups with split fuges and sumps. SWSCJ's 450 that is featured this month and Mfdrookie516's old reef system used this concept.

I made a 400 gallon sump out of acrylic for a 600 gallon display in a reef shop. It really isn't all that hard but the acrylic has to be cut perfect. I hired a sign shop with a CNC machine to cut the panels. Worked great! I would think a tank this small would be super easy. If you go with glass it would be even easier.

Back
Top Bottom