Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would be perfectly fine with a bin as a sump.. But will it look trashy? The tank is in the living room and the stand is usually open to provide cool air for the chiller soo i dont want it to look bad. Parents wouldnt like it but ill keep that idea in mind! What did you think of the RSM stand online hank?

Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Um, why do you need to provide cool air for a chiller? ...It's a chiller. And I thought the stand looked awful and cramped. I literally stopped looking into them because of the fact if I wanted to upgrade something on my own it was nearly impossible, aka use my current reef octopus.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use a 15H. It'll give you more headroom than a 10 but it would probably have little room for a skimmer. I did two refugiums with 15H sumps and was very satisfied with both. I know that isn't very big but it's kind of a tight space. If you aren't interested in a refugium it would accommodate a skimmer easily.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The chiller doesnt use a coil, ut uses fans to cool the water before pumping it back into the tank. The chiller needs cooler air to be used in the fans in order to chill the water. If the stand was closed then the chiller would be giving off heat and the heat would be trapped so it would be using warm air to try and chill warm water which wouldnt work at all, it would be suffocating itself. Also, the chiller breaths from the front not the back. If it breathed from the back then it would work out fine because the back has open slots..
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

It sounds like an energy efficient chiller. What model is it?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can always visit a Tap Plastics with your own spec and they will build you one but it won't be cheap. I built one myself from pieces I had them cut for me, that is an option too.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm ya i dont want to spend too much on the tank, would rather invest most of it in a nice skimmer. So im thinking we will buy a 15 tall...is there any way we could buy a cube tank? And install the bubble catchers ourselves?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well we have 300 bucks for this project (lets try not to spend our life savings here lol) but i assume we could find a 15 gallon for around 30 bucks. To make the sump with supplies and tubing and the return pump im gunna estimate around 80 bucks. Maybe a little fuge light for 25 bucks. That will cost around 135 bucks but lets round it to an even 150 in case things get more expensive then i thought. That gives us 150 dollars give or take a few for a skimmer, any suggestions?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 15 high is probably going to cost more than 30$ because it isn't common, they would have to special order one in for you. DIY is definitely the way to go if your getting the 15 high though. A good thing with that tank size is that water level will be higher. But that also can be a bad thing. If you can, build the sump around the skimmer, so everything will fit once you buy it.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Well we have 300 bucks for this project (lets try not to spend our life savings here lol) but i assume we could find a 15 gallon for around 30 bucks. To make the sump with supplies and tubing and the return pump im gunna estimate around 80 bucks. Maybe a little fuge light for 25 bucks. That will cost around 135 bucks but lets round it to an even 150 in case things get more expensive then i thought. That gives us 150 dollars give or take a few for a skimmer, any suggestions?
Try not to underestimate costs. You need to factor in plumbing, a return pump, silicone, plexi for the baffles, filter sock/holder if you do use that, etc... I'm not trying to scare you but I thought I was going to be able to build mine a lot cheaper than it ended up being lol

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com