Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer

Try not to underestimate costs. You need to factor in plumbing, a return pump, silicone, plexi for the baffles, filter sock/holder if you do use that, etc... I'm not trying to scare you but I thought I was going to be able to build mine a lot cheaper than it ended up being lol
Wow wicked sorry I didn't see you listed all that stuff already! It's Friday thankfully...

Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

It doesn't need to cost much. You don't have to use a big pump. The tank isn't expensive from All Glass. Acrylic for the skimmer section can be bought and cut from Lowes. You could actually put the return right in the refugium without a divider. That's kind of how I had it in both of my 15 sumps. Actually, I didn't use any dividers because I ran air driven skimmers.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
A 15 high is probably going to cost more than 30$ because it isn't common, they would have to special order one in for you. DIY is definitely the way to go if your getting the 15 high though. A good thing with that tank size is that water level will be higher. But that also can be a bad thing. If you can, build the sump around the skimmer, so everything will fit once you buy it.
True. How would i build one? It needs to be safe and easy...i cant have water all over the floor lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
It doesn't need to cost much. You don't have to use a big pump. The tank isn't expensive from All Glass. Acrylic for the skimmer section can be bought and cut from Lowes. You could actually put the return right in the refugium without a divider. That's kind of how I had it in both of my 15 sumps. Actually, I didn't use any dividers because I ran air driven skimmers.
Sounds like it'd be easy!

This brings me to my next question, which skimmer guys?? 66 gallon tank, and i was thinking about a reef octopus? Needs to be 150$ about...
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post

True. How would i build one? It needs to be safe and easy...i cant have water all over the floor lol.

Sounds like it'd be easy!

This brings me to my next question, which skimmer guys?? 66 gallon tank, and i was thinking about a reef octopus? Needs to be 150$ about...
Mine has never overflowed, basically, you just make three sections, where the water goes in, fuge, and comes out. I put my heater and skimmer where it comes in, fuge in the middle, then output has my pump on a ball valve and my thermometer, along with ato. Put in bubble traps to avoid micro bubbles from the skimmer.

Reef octopus is great, and there's a skimmer around the price your looking for. Just go on brs and check it out, I forget what it's called sorry :/
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell

Mine has never overflowed, basically, you just make three sections, where the water goes in, fuge, and comes out. I put my heater and skimmer where it comes in, fuge in the middle, then output has my pump on a ball valve and my thermometer, along with ato. Put in bubble traps to avoid micro bubbles from the skimmer.

Reef octopus is great, and there's a skimmer around the price your looking for. Just go on brs and check it out, I forget what it's called sorry :/
Hey thanks adam! Ive watched some sump videos and with you saying that it all makes sense.

I looked on BRS and this looks like the best one for my budget...
"Reef Octopus 4" Pinwheel Skimmer OCT-NWB110
Dimensions: 10" x 6.75" x 19.75"
Manufacturer rates skimmer for tanks up to 100 gallons
BRS Recommends this skimmer for tanks up to 75 gallons