Adding a sump? Possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys thanks for the info! Ive been talking to my dad about this and he thinks it would be an easy and fun peoject to make it ourselves...so, the plan is that over the break thats what we'll do! We can buy the skimmer first, make the compartment specifically for it, and then make the tank from acrylic or glass! It all sounds good so far!

Ok, i came up with a brand new idea for a sump..never seen it done before. I drew it up but cant post a pic. How do i post a link?

Should be able to cut and paste. Or upload to photobucket and link here with an img tag.

Yeah that'd work, but the scrubber would be pretty small. Idk if you would want it. It would have to be cleaned a lot and might not do much because of the size of the aquarium.

I think it would be really tough to get a skimmer, and algae scrubber, and return pump into the area you described.

Hey fort did you see the picture that we drew up? We think it could work but we are young to have to buy the skimmer first and modify the tank to the size of the skimmer. This is just what we would like to do, we will figure out if it works once we construct the tank

I think your schematic looks good - I just think it would be tough to add in an algae scrubber - it will block your access to the skimmer, or if you turned it around, your access to the scrubber would be blocked by the skimmer.

The tough thing here is you will need room for the overflow pipe with or without a sock, and room for the skimmer. You might have to shorten the fuge a bit on the left side to make room for that.

fort384 said:
I think your schematic looks good - I just think it would be tough to add in an algae scrubber - it will block your access to the skimmer, or if you turned it around, your access to the scrubber would be blocked by the skimmer.

The tough thing here is you will need room for the overflow pipe with or without a sock, and room for the skimmer. You might have to shorten the fuge a bit on the left side to make room for that.

So it looks good? Think so? Thats great!

I see what your saying. I guess if i want to have a scrubber i will make it smaller and at the bottom of the fuge.

I see what youre saying and i agree. I'll modify the plan to give me more room for the pipe and maybe even a filter sock. Any way i could have the pipe come in through the back wall of the sump?

hmm, I think you could do that (run it through the side) - it would definitely save you some room. Since you are fabricating the sump, this is a good idea.

I think the sock is a nice to have, but certainly not a requirement.

I would just try running it with a fuge and see what happens. I don't have an algae scrubber, just a small fuge growing chaeto, and my nitrate has never tested above 0 ppm (and I have the higher resolution RS Pro test kit). Remember, if you run a scrubber, you somehow have to fit 2 lights in on either side. I just think it would be really tight fit in that space. If you can work it out though, more power to you.

EDIT: And my nitrate isn't for lack of nutrients - I feed like crazy. The chaeto just grows like mad. It doubles about every 2 weeks. There is not a spec of algae besides coralline and some diatoms in the DT.

Last edited:
fort384 said:
hmm, I think you could do that (run it through the side) - it would definitely save you some room. Since you are fabricating the sump, this is a good idea.

I think the sock is a nice to have, but certainly not a requirement.

I would just try running it with a fuge and see what happens. I don't have an algae scrubber, just a small fuge growing chaeto, and my nitrate has never tested above 0 ppm (and I have the higher resolution RS Pro test kit). Remember, if you run a scrubber, you somehow have to fit 2 lights in on either side. I just think it would be really tight fit in that space. If you can work it out though, more power to you.

We appreciate the help fort! We really dont have a nitrate problem and we never have so i dont really thing a scubber will be necessary at this point. Like you said, i think if we just grew some cheato in the fuge it would take nitrates down to 0, especially since our tank isnt very big it wont take much cheato. Fort have you ever made a tank before?

Nope - never tried it. Have heard it isn't too bad, but never thought to really try. I like rimless glass tanks with low iron glass - seems like it is easier to just buy. But I think for the space you guys have available it is at least worth looking into, especially if your dad will give you a hand. Lots of folks have had great success over the years building tanks and they had to start somewhere. I am sure you 2 can be successful with it so long as you go in armed with the research and a plan.

fort384 said:
Nope - never tried it. Have heard it isn't too bad, but never thought to really try. I like rimless glass tanks with low iron glass - seems like it is easier to just buy. But I think for the space you guys have available it is at least worth looking into, especially if your dad will give you a hand. Lots of folks have had great success over the years building tanks and they had to start somewhere. I am sure you 2 can be successful with it so long as you go in armed with the research and a plan.

Yes i think it is the best option we have..our space is pretty awkward. But it should be fun too. Yes dad will help out and hopefully learn somthing about the tank too!

Back
Top Bottom