Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #31
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

JBJ makes a small LED light for fuge situations like this. I have one, cost me 50 bucks.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would be down for that... Sounds like a good light, thanks for the suggestion! I would love to get this sump going and every day i want to try it even more, but im not so sure that it would be worth it with our limited space... Our nitrates are only 5 so its not necessary

Old 12-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

What about just growing Xenia in the show tank to knock down that last bit of nitrate? People often talk about using them in sumps instead of cheato but they work just as well in the display tank. I always grew them in my non-sump reefs just for that and it's always brought down my nitrates to zero. They do grow fast but you just cut the top off once every month or two just like plants. May be worth a shot. The plain tan ones worked best in my experience.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

We do have some xenia! Haha two types actually :p thanks for the suggetions, its growing quick!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi look forward to seeing how this progress's with photo's obviously You could use a sump just to hide all the heaters,skimmers etc? Or as a my mate suggested up me local fish shop,was to fill it with small pieces of living rock - to aid filtration?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok, so i mismeasured the space a bit. It is 16x20x27. Really weird. So not even a 10 gallon tank will fit 100%. It juts out an inch or so....im thinking i will use a tub of some sort. Or, maybe have an external skimmer?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #37
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I use this skimmer:

Bubble Magus BM-NAC3+ Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

It fits really well in a small space, and works great for a taller sump, because the pump is under the cone. It has a really tight footprint. 6.8"X4.3".

Might it be possible to cut out that center divider so you have more room, and put the chiller on the outside of the stand? Or is that center divider load bearing? If it is, you might be able to brace it easy enough with a couple of 2x4s or something and still have room to get a 20L in there. Anything smaller than a 20long is going to make it really hard to get much in the way of a fuge, skimmer, and return pump in it.

EDIT: 10,000th post FTW!
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
I use this skimmer:

Bubble Magus BM-NAC3+ Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

It fits really well in a small space, and works great for a taller sump, because the pump is under the cone. It has a really tight footprint. 6.8"X4.3".

Might it be possible to cut out that center divider so you have more room, and put the chiller on the outside of the stand? Or is that center divider load bearing? If it is, you might be able to brace it easy enough with a couple of 2x4s or something and still have room to get a 20L in there. Anything smaller than a 20long is going to make it really hard to get much in the way of a fuge, skimmer, and return pump in it.

EDIT: 10,000th post FTW!
Wow that is the skimmer i'll get, it is perfect for what im doing here.

Yes it is, and im not sure if i can mess with it. My parents are opposed to it... But thats ok. I've been looking into tubs and if i find the right one i could have as much as a 15 gallon sump! Not bad..but it has to fit perfect.

I am also talking to a local reefer who might have a 9-12 g sump for me. That would work too.

Wow...i feel honored it was on my thread! Lol congrats.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #39
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have *heard* that is is actually not all that hard to make your own tank out of acrylic... never tried it though. I could see where that would get scary. But it would allow you to build whatever size you can.

Other option is to do 2 separate tanks - 1 for a fuge and the other for a sump. Maybe you could get the sump in the top left, or top right? It would take a little bit of extra plumbing, but I know of a few folks who run setups with split fuges and sumps. SWSCJ's 450 that is featured this month and Mfdrookie516's old reef system used this concept.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

I made a 400 gallon sump out of acrylic for a 600 gallon display in a reef shop. It really isn't all that hard but the acrylic has to be cut perfect. I hired a sign shop with a CNC machine to cut the panels. Worked great! I would think a tank this small would be super easy. If you go with glass it would be even easier.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com